There are certainly times when nothing will cure your ailment other than an over-the-counter medication or a prescription. But what about those times where you can try to treat—and prevent—common conditions with a tried and true natural solution? 

Here are some of my favorite, trusted remedies for whatever ails you: 

1. Pain relief

For headaches: Migraine sufferers typically pop a prescription medicine at the onset of a headache, but natural preventive tactics work wonders. I like Migravent, which is made with butterbur extract, riboflavin, magnesium, and CoQ10. Take daily to prevent migraines. I've been recommending it for years with only positive feedback from migraine sufferers. For sinus headaches, try Sinus Buster Nasal Spray, which stops sinus headaches on contact.

For menstrual cramps/PMS: Metagenics Chasteberry Plus contains Vitex for drug free relief. Caulophyllum Thalictroides is a homeopathic remedy from Boiron for menstrual cramps alone. It can be used as often as needed (5 pellets dissolved under tongue).

2. Cough treatment

For coughs: For a wet cough, Planetary Herbals' Old Indian Cherry Bark will do the trick—it tastes gross but works great. Boiron Chestal Cough Syrup is homeopathic and great for both wet and dry coughs. 

Immunity: New Chapter Immunity Take Care chewable elderberry is my favorite! Nature's Way Sambucus in a chewable or syrup form works well, too and is a bit less expensive. Both are great for a virus/cold and can be taken daily. For an effective daily immune booster, I recommend Source Naturals' Wellness Formula. Truth be told: It doesn’t have the most pleasing scent, but it works great!  

3. First aid

Cuts/burns: Boiron or NatureWorks Calendula Gel or Aloe Force Organic Aloe Vera Gel, since keeping skin moist assists in healing.

Anti itch: More effective than Hydrocortisone is Boiron Histaminum homeopathic remedy. It works great to relieve itching; just dissolve 5 tiny pellets underneath your tongue for relief. Can be used as much as necessary—no side effects, no drowsiness.  

4. Digestive Issues

Gastrointestinal Issues: A daily probiotic is a must. I like Metagenics' Ultraflora. For acute diarrhea, take two capsules three times a day until symptoms are relieved. For antibiotic therapy, take one capsule two hours after each dose; and for regular maintenance, take one capsule daily. This is one item that you need keep in your refrigerator, not your medicine cabinet.

Gerd/Acid Reflux: Metagenics' Glutagenics Powder is amazing as it literally rebuilds the stomach lining. Integrative Therapeutics Similase Digestive Enzymes is also great for bloating.

5. Sleep Aids 

Don’t get addicted to Ambien! Instead, use Somniphan from Intensive Nutrition. It's the best natural sleep aid! For jet lag, I recommend Melatonin by Source Naturals—it's great for resetting circadian sleep cycle.

6. Mood Boosters

Rescue Remedy is the one product you need to take care of all kinds of emergency emotional stress and anxiety. Since Dr. Edward Bach himself first formulated it in the 1930’s, Rescue Remedy has helped millions of people all over the world. It's made from five of the doctor's original 38 Flower Essences, helps ease emotional stress, and is available for kids and pets, too.

7. Eye care

Simalasin makes great homeopathic drops for the best in eye care. The most popular and effective ones include Allergy Eye, Dry Eye Relief, Irritated Eye, and Computer Eye Relief.

8. Oral care

Forgo the chemicals and sugar in regular toothpaste and make a natural choice from Desert Essence or Tom's of Maine. These are great for kids, too!

9. Personal care 

Sunscreen: The best on the market comes from MD Solar Sciences Natural Mineral Sunscreen, which contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and was developed by a renowned dermatologist at Columbia University.

After Suncare: There is nothing better for your skin post-sun than Solar Recover Save Your Skin—it hydrates, soothes, and even smells amazing!

Bug Spray: Put down the chemical bug sprays and opt for Buzz Away Extreme. Works on flies, mosquitos and ticks without dangerous ingredients.

Acne: I love Burt’s Bees Blemish Stick. It works great to clear up pimples.

Deodorant: Why use a synthetic, chemical-based formula that penetrates skin when you can use a natural one from Crystal Rock?  Need I say more?

Hair Care: Avoid any shampoos and conditioners containing Sodium Laurel Sulfate, which is a harsh chemical and cleaning agent that will dry out your scalp and strip your hair of its natural moisture. My favorite SLS-free brand is Desert Essence.

10. Back-to-school treatments

There is nothing worse than a lice outbreak at school so be sure to keep Happy Heads Shampoo & Conditioner stocked in your medicine cabinet. 

Explore More