1. Rainbow Grocery - Be mesmerized by the hundreds of bulk bins -- from dried herbs to olive oil to miso paste, it could take a while to navigate this quirky co-op grocery store. While there is no meat sold, the cheese counter is the best in town. Favorites: Bulk Dry Goods, Cheese, Hodo Soy Beanery Tofu.
2. Bi-Rite Market - Bi-Rite Market might just be the coolest and most efficient (they really pack it in!) organic grocery store around. Period. You'll find all your organic product staples plus an old-school deli counter with killer sandwiches. Favorites: Prepared Foods, Deli Counter, Chocolate selection.
3. Ferry Building Farmers Market - Don't miss the grand-daddy of them all. Saturday's find a sprawling array of stalls selling local breads, cheese, produce, and meat in the shadow of the beautiful SF Bay. Prepared food from the numerous vendors is a treat on Tuesdays and Thursdays we well. Favorites: Seasonal Produce, Point Reyes Bleu Cheese, Roli Roti Porchetta Sandwich, Fatted Calf Charuterie.
4. Whole Foods Market - While it's a large national chain, Whole Foods carries a wide variety of local produce, baked goods, and prepared items. There is also a fine selection of natural and organic meat to make this a great one-stop shop. With many locations around the City, it's also quite convenient. Favorites: La Boulange Organic Baguette, Kika's Treats, Local Produce.
5. Mission Market Fish & Poultry - Bob Scialanga has owned this old school fishmarket since 1977. A knowledgeable fishmonger selling sustainable seafood, he is a wealth of knowledge and is happy to help you choose the perfect fish, bivalve, or crustacean. Favorites: Whatever is fresh and in season.
This article was written by Evan Bloom. Evan lives in San Francisco and is working to plan the 2nd annual SF Street Food Festival with non-profit La Cocina, an incubator kitchen for low income and immigrant food start-ups. He has his sights set on opening San Francisco's only authentic Jewish Deli, currently smoking pastrami out of his backyard. You can find Evan blogging at sfdelicatessen.blogspot.com
Ferry Building image via DivaGourmet
Mission Market Fish & Poultry image via Yelp