San Francisco Food Guide: 6 Spots for On-the-Go Eaters
From veggie sandwiches to locally made gourmet sausages, we've got healthy, green and affordable food on-the-go covered.
1. Kasa Indian Eatery - Kind of like an Indian version of Chipotle, Kasa serves up Authentic Indian food from family recipes using all organic ingredients. Step up to the taqueria-style counter to order either a thali plate or a few kati rolls -- buttery roti stuffed as you like them. 2 Locations in SF. Favorites: Vegetarian Thali Plate, Chicken Tikka Kati Roll, Fresh Mango Lassi.
2. Show Dogs - From the Same owners of date-night stalwart Foreign Cinema comes a much more casual spot serving locally made gourmet sausage and hot dogs paired with local brews. Don’t forget the house made fries and onion rings. Favorites: Organic Duck Sausage, Onion Rings.
3. Pal's Takeaway - This unassuming sandwich counter is in the back of Tony's market and liquor and a favorite of the lunch crowd at nearby SF General. Sandwiches change daily using whatever is fresh from the farmer's market and always include a vegetarian option. Favorites: 5 Spice Chicken Bahn Mi, Asparagus, and Hard Cooked Egg Sandwich.
4. The Sentinel - Local whiz chef Dennis Leary's more casual Fidi lunch spot is takeaway only. Lines form outside this former cigar store for breakfast and lunch. Almost everything is made in house and items change daily. Favorites: Reuben on Housemade Bread, Curry Egg Salad, Daily Soup.
5. El Huarache Loco - Veronica Salazar brings Mexico City style food every Saturday to the Alemany Farmer's Market. Not just your standard taqueria, she makes her own masa dough and uses ingredients right from the market. Favorites: Huarache with Carne Asada, Blue Corn Quesadilla with Zucchini Blossoms.
6. The Plant Cafe - The Plant is definitely the destination of choice for the post-Bar Method, post-Triathlon club, post-yoga crew in the Marina neighborhood. Expect almost 100% organic ingredients and lots of vegan-friendly options. There are also locations downtown and the Embarcadero, too. Favorites: Make Your Own Salad, Veggie Burger, Chocolate Fudge Brownie.
This article was written by Evan Bloom. Evan lives in San Francisco and is working to plan the 2nd annual SF Street Food Festival with non-profit La Cocina, an incubator kitchen for low income and immigrant food start-ups. He has his sights set on opening San Francisco's only authentic Jewish Deli, currently smoking pastrami out of his backyard. You can find Evan blogging at sfdelicatessen.blogspot.com
Kasa image via DailyCandy
Show Dogs image via Meredith Brody at SF Weekly
Pal's Takeaway image via Brant Ward / The Chronicle
The Sentinel image via Travel & Leisure
El Huarache Loco image via plattyjo on flickr
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.