This year I turned 45. After I picked myself up off the floor, I thought to myself, “Holy Cannoli! I’m gonna be 50 in five years!” Then, I went on an odyssey to figure out how to recapture my youth. This included lots of green juice (Check out: My Morning Green Juice), eating only organic foods, quitting my day job, meditating, doing yoga, and spending time with my family. You know what? I didn’t recapture my youth. I am, however, figuring out how to love my age.

First, I had to face the truth: I am going to continue to get older, whether I like it or not. I could either fight it or embrace it. Each of us has within us an amazing power. It’s called choice. We can choose to train our minds to think differently about aging. We can look forward to what life will bring us as we get older. We can really take care of ourselves by choosing healing foods, spending time with people who uplift us, discovering our passion to ignite our reason for being here. We also have a responsibility to be role models for younger generations who think all this toxic, anti-aging stuff is the way to age. “Anti-aging” means you don’t age. Period. Not realistic, people!

Here are ten steps that you can start taking today—no matter how old you are—to love your age:

1. Embrace Your Age.          

There’s a quote that goes something like this: “Do not regret growing old. It is a privilege denied to many.” When you look at it that way, aging doesn’t seem so bad. 

2. See Your Glass as Half Full.      

Your best years are not behind you. There’s a whole new phase of your life to explore! But, it takes practice. Train your mind by feeding it with positive nutrition. Read positive books or quotes. Tell yourself only positive things. Stay away from negative people or situations as much as you can.    

3. Eat (or Juice) Your Veggies.     

Veggies—and green veggies in particular—can be your fountain of youth. Full of vitamins, minerals, and life-giving chlorophyll, raw green veggies should be the basis of your diet. They help your body heal, reduce inflammation, detox, and repair. Sometimes our fast-paced lives don’t allow us to get all the veggies we need to replenish our bodies, so juicing is a fabulous way to get all the green we need in a short amount of time. (See: Plant-Based Diet for Beginners.)   

4. Move It or Lose It. 

Studies show that inactivity is the worst thing you can do (or not do) as you age. Inactivity has been shown to be a contributing factor to heart disease, diabetes, breast cancer, and colon cancer. You don’t have to run a marathon or pump tons of iron either. A vigorous walk 3-4 times a week is better than nothing.

5. Find Your Passion. 

Nothing is more energizing than doing what you love. But, what if you have no idea what you love to do? Go out and find something! Try painting, skydiving, Tai Chi, writing, story-telling, playing an instrument, teaching, yoga, or whatever. You’ll never know what fuels your inner fire if you don’t explore a bit.

6. Love with All Your Heart.        

You may have gotten hurt in the past, or you may be scared that you’ll be too vulnerable, but truthfully, the more you withhold love, the unhappier you’ll be. Start with yourself. It may sound corny. but look at yourself in the mirror and say, “I really love you!” Keep doing it every day, and you’ll see love blossom all around you.

7. Get Outside and Enjoy Nature.        

Go for a walk in the park. Sit under a tree. Hit the trail, and hike your way through the forest. Whatever you do, try to enjoy the nature that’s all around you (even if you live in a city). Sitting in an office all day or in the house can turn your mood blue. Even if you just walk around the block and feel the sunshine on your face, it will do you so much good.

8. Be Still. 

It’s amazing how many distractions that fly at us in our days. If you can find even five minutes to sit and be still, you can clear your head and focus on what you really want to do. Try it for 14 days. Pick a spot away from all the hubbub, and just sit with the silence. Your mind will go crazy at first, but then you’ll settle into a nice, quiet calm. (Check Out: Meditation Techniques for Beginners.)

9. Laugh Your Ass Off.         

Laughter really is the best medicine. Are there people you know who make you laugh? Can you find a book or movie that makes you crack up every time? Adding more laughter to your life adds more life to your years. So LOL as much as possible!

10. Be Grateful. 

There are many things we have to be grateful for, even if you think there isn’t. Take a look at your life, and find a few things. The fact that you’re alive is something to be thankful for. Start with these, and open your heart to gratitude. Then expand your circle of gratitude to your family, friends, co- workers, neighbors, and others. And watch the magic happen.

Explore More