5 Reasons to Travel Solo
Do you ever feel like you would love some time away from all the pressures and stress you put on yourself? Well, then traveling solo might be the adventure you are searching for. Having been on several journeys near and far by myself, I must say, I have never regretted the decision. Here are some reasons why:
1. You become more open to meeting new people. This includes other travelers as well as locals. One summer I packed a backpack and headed to a farm in the middle of a rainforest in Costa Rica alone. As it turns out, I met the person who is now my best friend in that rainforest. You never know where, when and how you will meet a life-long friend. I have found that when I am by myself, I become more open and willing to meet new people. Just because you start out solo, doesn’t mean you can’t pick up a few friends a long the way.
2. You have time for a little self-discovery. There is no one to please but you. Being alone provides the opportunity to release the blocks we put up against ourselves in everyday life. You know, the self-blame, guilt, pressure and never-ending ‘to-do’ lists. This is an opportunity to leave all that behind and connect with your spiritual side! Embrace it.
3. You make your own schedule. That’s right, you go wherever you want, whenever you want. Enough said.
4. You become more confident. If you’re not comfortable in your own skin, well, you’re going to have plenty of time to get over it. Often times we look to external people, situations and experiences to mask our discomforts in life. When you’re by yourself, the mask is gone, and although it might seem tough at first, you come out the other side a much more peaceful confident person.
5. It will get you out of your comfort zone. It is always easier to go somewhere unknown or do something new with someone you know. It makes you feel more comfortable having someone familiar by your side, but the truth is, the magic and real adventure is outside your comfort zone. Like I said above, you never know whom you might meet!
Now in case you need a little more motivation to travel solo, and happen to be a quote junkie like myself, these might help:
"You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with." - Wayne Dyer
"Spend some time alone every day." - Dalai Lama
"In solitude the mind gains strength and learns to lean upon itself." - Laurence Sterne
"All of our unhappiness comes from our inability to be alone." - Jean de la Bruyere
Go forth and travel solo. Reinvent yourself. Rediscover your world.