3 Reasons To Practice Side Plank

Sometimes I hear students groan when I teach side plank in my class. It’s a simple posture that can be incredibly challenging and that’s exactly why I love it. With practice, this arm and core strengthening pose can become the foundation for a number of advanced variations and can be incorporated into a variety of fun sequences.

The name Vasisthasana (vah-sish-TAHS-anna) is derived from the word “Vasistha,” which literally means “most excellent, best, richest.” Here are three reasons why this is an excellent pose to get you into the best shape possible:

1. Side plank not only builds strength in the arms and shoulders but it also strengthens your abdomen and legs. This asymmetrical pose deliberately destabilizes you and requires full core activation for balance.

2. This challenging posture has multiple modifications, which is nice for yogis of all skill levels. No matter how new or advanced you are in yoga, there’s a variation of Vasisthasana for you.

3. For yogis who appreciate the satisfaction of improvement, this pose gets much easier with practice. Eventually you’ll develop the strength and confidence to try more advanced variations and sequences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch the instructional video below for two simple variations of Vasisthasana:

Explore More