3 Ways to Make Plant-Based Eating Affordable

Healthy eating can definitely rack up a higher grocery bill than mainstream eating.While I do believe that you get what you pay for, there are many lifestyle changes that I have made in order to afford my healthy lifestyle (no more highlights, manicures, or trips to the mall just for fun), but there are some tricks of the trade that I’d like to share with you to keep costs as low as possible.

1. Don’t waste money on supplements, and superfoods. The focus on these things is due to the idea that a diet based around plant foods is restrictive and limiting in nutrition. While I always encourage clients to get their blood tested if they feel ill or lethargic, I find that superfoods, protein powders, and supplements to be a waste of money. because I’ve never seen anyone get significant benefit from them.

Remember that what you leave out of your diet is much more important than all of the more expensive stuff that the nutrition industry is constantly telling us to put into our diet. Leaving processed and refined ingredients out of the diet will have a far more positive impact on your health than the inclusion of any supplement or superfood.

2. Buy Local! Not only is local and seasonal produce more affordable, it’s also far more delicious. Living in Lancaster, I am lucky enough to have the best produce money can buy when it’s in season. Local produce is always fresher, too, which means it will provide your body with more vitality.

Support your local farmers and get to a farmer’s market for some of your weekly eats. If your farmer isn’t certified organic, ask them about their farming practices. Some small farms aren’t certified organic because of the costliness of becoming certified, but they do not use any sprays or chemicals on the plants that they grow.

3. Don’t overeat. Just because a food is healthy doesn’t mean you should eat too much of it! Overeating is always a burden to the body and should be avoided. This can be difficult to do, especially when we are feeling stressed out or we are experiencing cravings.

I always recommend taking some time to express gratitude before your meals so that you fully appreciate everything on your plate. Something about expressing gratitude, tends to not only keep us present as we eat, but to really feel satisfied on a level that is deeper than just physical fullness.

I like to envision the plants and the process of picking the plants and all of the work that it has taken for the vegetables to land on my plate. I’ve found it’s difficult not to feel extremely fortunate when you take time for that visualization.

Below I’ve listed a plant-based, budget friendly menu that will deeply satisfy both palette and soul at a low cost:

Avo-Rosemary Salad

• 1 avocado (I like to cube half of it, and mash the other half to give the salad dressing a creamy consistency)
  • 4 sun dried tomatoes, soaked until soft, and then diced
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced (optional)
  • 1 handful of grape or cherry tomatoes, or 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
  • the juice of 1 lemon
  • 3-4 packets of stevia (or to taste)

Mix it all together! I love the way the rosemary, avocado, lemon juice, stevia, and sun dried tomato flavors all merge together in this salad. It’s refreshing and delicious!

Oven Baked, Barbeque Seasoned Carrot Fries

• 7 carrots, peeled and cut into fries (I cut my carrots in two right down the middle, then slice each half into quarters)
  • 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste

Pre – heat your oven to 400 degrees. Place the carrots, coconut oil, sea salt, paprika, and garlic powder in a large casserole dish and bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until the carrots are “fried” to your liking.

Remove them from the oven, stir them around in the dish to make sure the spices are evenly distributed, and enjoy!

Blueberry - Ginger Slushie

• 1 cup of blueberry tea (not hot)
  • 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp fresh ginger
  • 1 lemon, the outer peel sliced awa
  • 10 ice cubes from ice cube tray (if you have an ice - you’ll want to use less because they are bigger)
  • stevia to taste (I use a lot)

Blend all of that beautiful goodness together and feel refreshed.

I hope this inspires you to give healthier eating a try, even if you’re on a tight budget!

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!