5 Kitchen Staples Everyone Should Have

Every healthy kitchen should always have these essential items on hand.

1. Nutritional Yeast

At first it can look intimidating, but it’s nothing to be afraid of! This deactivated yeast is a powerhouse of nutrients providing a great source of protein, B vitamins, folic acid, zinc, iron, magnesium, and the list goes on. It has a savory nutty, cheesy flavor and tastes great sprinkled over salads, popcorn, vegetables, pastas, and soups.

2. Raw Almond Butter

I simply cannot live without almond butter. I use it in my breakfast smoothies, on bananas for an energy boost, and even by the spoonful! Almond butter can help lower cholesterol, keep you fuller longer, control blood sugar, and aid in weight loss (despite the healthy fats!).

3. Chia Seeds

These magical seeds work wonders in the body. When soaked in liquid they absorb up to nine times their weight, which means they form a jelly-like texture. These energizing seeds have double the protein of any other seed, five times the calcium as milk, double the potassium in bananas, three times the iron in spinach, and a great amount of heart healthy omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Mix these seeds in your morning smoothie, or make a delicious chia seed pudding!

4. Lentils

Lentils make a filling lunch or dinner and have an indefinite shelf life. Lentils have a high amount of fiber, iron, B vitamins, and protein. The combinations are endless: lentil soup, lentil salad, lentil burgers, lentil curry…

5. Sea Vegetables

One of my favorites is Nori; low in calories and high in nutrients. This is the same seaweed used in sushi. Nori has been found to reduce the risk of breast cancer and lower cholesterol significantly. Not only used in sushi, Nori is great for making salad wraps, veggie rolls, or seaweed salad!

Explore More