7 Stress-Busting Tips
Looking to put an end to stress? The UK's Mirror recently featured some "quick fixes" and "long-term changes." We broke down the list and came up with seven of our favorites:
1. Get started with meditation. Meditation is a great stress-buster. And here's a great video on meditation techniques for beginners from Deepak Chopra.
2. Hit the 'pause' button. Embrace where you are right now. As some would say, "Stop and smell the roses." One way to do this is by beginning a mindfulness practice.
3. Short on time? Then don't waste it. Especially with people who bring you down or activities you don't enjoy.
4. Laugh it off. If you're anxious about a situation, such as giving a presentation to the boss, "imagine them only wearing a big pair of pants."
5. Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated keeps you alert. The chances are the more water you drink, the less caffeine and alcohol you're ingesting. Stress + Tons of Caffeine/Alcohol = Not a good thing. Shoot for eight-8oz glasses if you can.
6. Sleep! While it's thought that eight hours is the standard, everyone's needs are different.
7. Exercise. Just going for a 10-minute brisk walk will get the blood flowing and should help. (A 20-30 minute walk can burn up to 250 calories.) You might even want to consider taking a page from celebs like Jennifer Aniston, Cameron Diaz, or Rachel McAdams and take up yoga (a phenomenal stress-buster) -- after all, "yoga is the new gym."