Have a Fabulous Day! Create a Morning Ritual
You have the choice to keep hitting the snooze button, over and over as you moan and groan about the start of a new day. Or you can jump out of bed with excitement, knowing that it’s a fresh morning and a new chance.
How we start our day deeply affects how our day will be. It’s a bit like Murphy’s Law – when one thing goes wrong, it all goes wrong. If you’re anything like me, you would know that law all too well. You hit snooze, then the alarm doesn’t go off, you sleep in, your late for work, you get every red light, you spill your chai tea, you left your parking access at home and then you broke a heel as you were running through the front door of your office. All too familiar?
It’s the snowball effect: the momentum of one bad thing after another building up, and now it’s one big hard snowball spinning your way… all because we moaned and groaned as we hit the snooze button.
Well, you can send that snowball spinning the other way; you can choose to wake up and greet the morning with delight. When you decide to show up for the day, full of enthusiasm, passion and excitement, you grace the world with beauty, and that my friend is when miracles occur. So how do you do this? It’s early, its cold and sometimes it’s dark. Well, you need to create a little self-indulgence – you need to create a morning ritual. A morning ritual is a self-healing and self-honoring custom. It gets you excited about getting up. How you create a morning ritual is purely up to you. I will share mine, and then I will give you some points on how to create your own.
My Morning Song
I wake up early, the morning sun kisses my skin and I think, “oh bliss, a new morning and a fresh start.” Before I step out of bed, I sit up, give a big smile to the day, and then think of three things that I am grateful for. I then get up out of my bed, open the windows in my bedroom, listen to the birds sing, and let the morning breeze fill my home and my heart. There is a different light, smell and presence about an early morning. Maybe it’s the thought of new opportunities.
I then slowly make my way down the stairs, and brew hot lemon water. I sip on my lemon water with morning mindfulness while looking out the window at my garden. I just love it when my garden seems to grow overnight.
As Thich Nhat Hanh reminds us, "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this moment is life."
I then roll out my yoga mat and greet the morning sun salutations; I do six sets. After my blissful twenty minutes of yoga, I head to my bathroom and the first thing I see on my mirror is my morning affirmation: “Today is going to be a fabulous day.” As I brush my body with my body brush I think about the affirmation. I then jump in the shower for my spiritual cleanse.
I then sit down with my green smoothie, diary and iPod. I drink mindfully, visualize the nutrients of the smoothie feeding and energising every cell in my body, while I listen to some affirmations and write in my diary.
Time permitting, I then go for a walk in nature where I can think, imagine and brainstorm ideas for my art, my soul, my products, my marketing ideas and business strategies.
I start the day off just perfect for me, and I know my morning ritual is complete because I feel inspired to get started on the day!
How to create your morning ritual
- Decide on a wake-up time and stick to it. Give yourself 30-60 minutes for your morning ritual.
- Get Moving. The hardest part of waking up is getting over the sleepiness; it’s all too easy to drift back off to dreamland. So get up and get moving. This is a great time to do a little exercise. If that doesn’t fit in with your schedule then just do a few stretches or walk up and down some stairs a couple of times.
- Choose something that you want to luxuriate in. It may be reading, swimming, yoga, gardening, creative projects or study. Really, it is whatever you find enjoyable. Now dedicate a little time to this in the morning.
- Do it for thirty days. To instil a habit you need to do it for thirty days, so stick to your ritual and don’t miss a day. Before you know it, it will become second nature for you.
- Write up your morning ritual, make it look uber cool with computer texts and graphics. And then frame it, and keep it by your bed.
So, steal a kiss from the universe, and make your mornings luxurious and sacred. Create your own morning song by designing your morning ritual today.