5 Ways to Evolve and Reach Your Full Potential

The definition of 'evolve' is to develop gradually. Evolve is a verb, an action step that we all need to be taking daily.

What ignited my interest in writing this article today was a discussion I had this week with a friend from high school. She seemed to bring our conversation back to our high school years time and time again. This is a repetitive theme in every conversation we have had for years. All I kept thinking during this latest conversation was that I felt genuinely sad that she hasn't evolved. Thus, a MindBodyGreen article was born.

My definition of evolving is a bit different than the simple Webster dictionary explanation above. Evolving means committing yourself to growth in all areas of your life - Mind, Body, Spirit, Lifestyle, Relationships, Career, etc. If you are evolving, you are shedding layers and in the process becoming the you that you were always meant to be. People that evolve - in my eyes - are brilliant, intelligent, bewildering in a beautiful way and brave.  

Whether it be your voice, photography, blogging, yoga practice or your marketing tactics via your career, improvement is vital to evolving and ultimately succeeding.

How do YOU evolve?  

Everyone has their own formula but I will certainly share with you five ideas of my own:

1. Without Action you must realize that you are not going anywhere at all. You must realize that without taking action, your going to be left exactly where you are - and where you are is not where you want to be.  It sounds simple, doesn't it?  It is. In order to evolve, you have to take that leap - irregardless how uncomfortable it is.  

2. Be Authentic. How many times have we been told to 'be authentic'? Being your TRUE self is so worth it. Disappointing others in the process is 'ok'. I can tell you from experience that the people who are meant to be in my life are thrilled about me being true to myself. People show their true colors when you are faithful to yourself. Once upon a time, I was very troubled by the idea of disappointing a particular group of friends in my life until I realized that they were not true friends to begin with. When you are true to yourself, you not only evolve, you rise up to challenges that seem to melt away.

3. Persistence. Try, try and try again. You are new to yoga class and cannot hold that downward dog pose? Try again. You want to master the ocean waves on your surfboard? Try again. You want this particular relationship you are in to work? Try again. You want your marriage to flourish? Try harder. You are getting the idea. When you persist, you evolve. You are in a constant state of growth and in the commitment of evolving, you find respect, love and trust.

4. Stay in this moment. You cannot grow from this particular experience (whatever yours is) if you are not paying attention to 'where you are right now'. In order to take that first step, you must pay attention to where you are standing. This moment is all we have - cherish it.  Cherish yourself.  You are now committed to evolving in whatever area you choose and in order to do so, you need to begin right here - right now.  Be kind and gentle with yourself.  Let the process begin.

5. Forgiveness. I imagine you knew 'forgiveness' was going to be one of my '5 ways to Evolve'. In order to shed old layers, forgiveness is required. Forgiveness of self, forgiveness of others. In order to evolve in a relationship, you must truly forgive and move forward in awe, love, hope and positivity. Forgiveness is so freeing and there are many MindBodyGreen articles that provide suggestions to teach how to forgive. Forgive, let go and honey, you are evolving already.

My hope for all of you is that you commit to evolving - it's so worth it. This quote below is one of my favorites on the topic we just discussed.

"There are two kinds of people. One kind, you can just tell by looking at them at what point they congealed into their final selves. It might be a very nice self, but you know you can expect no more suprises from it. Whereas, the other kind keep moving, changing... They are fluid. They keep moving forward and making new trysts with life, and the motion of it keeps them young. In my opinion, they are the only people who are still alive. You must be constantly on your guard against congealing." 

- Gail Godwin

Explore More