Summer Solstice Yoga: Creating Your Best Life
Remember when we were kids and we’d come back from summer vacation and present our best version of, “What I Did This Summer?” Saying yes to celebrating the Summer Solstice is a way for us to continue in this endeavor and inspire our best life ever! It gives us the incentive to purposefully design our summer in the way we want it to feel. It is the outline for what “I’ll Do This Summer” and the way to manifest your dreams into reality.
Summer officially begins in the Northern hemisphere on June 20th, 2012 at 7:09pm EST. It is traditionally a time of honoring the fertility of the earth and the sun’s blessing of warmth and light. In Pantanjali’s Yoga Sutras 3.26 it’s written in translation, “One learns from the perfect discipline of the sun and solar system.”
The word solstice comess from the Latin solstitium: from sol (sun) and stitium (to stop). This week, make time to stop and acknowledge how far you’ve come and set your intentions for what you want to create in your life in the second half of the year until the Winter Solstice.
STEP 1: This is the perfect time to stop and have an honest talk with yourself.
Some questions to ask:
- How has the start of summer made you thirsty for your greatest happiness?
- What new steps are you taking that are really important to you?
- What are you nurturing that really matters to you?
- What are you doing to stay creative?
- What are you excited about right now?
- Where are you growing?
- What 3 things are you fired up to do this summer?
- What role does imagination have in your life?
STEP 2: Three Tips for Stoking the Fire
- Plan to try something new this summer (salsa dance lessons, learn Italian, take a cooking class)
- Plan a summer vacation to somewhere you’ve never been before
- Create a Fire Mandala (Mind Map). Take a piece of paper and fold in half. On one side draw a circle representing The Present Moment and put yourself and what is consuming your life right now. On the other side draw a circle and put yourself in it and include everything that you want more of in your life. Now compare circles. Where you are is constantly evolving towards where you want to go.
STEP 3: Practice Surya Namaskar (Sun Salute A is provided below).
Today is an excellent opportunity to attend a Yoga Mala (108 Sun Salutations) or any other honorary celebration of yoga as devotional practice to the sun and all it inspires. Remember, you are offering the salutation to the light of something greater supporting you in your journey towards your dream.
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.