5 Reasons Why Being Flawed Is Perfect

One of the reasons I love my physical yoga practice is that it’s given me the confidence to shine in other areas of life besides my sticky mat. If I can pick up my bottom arm in half moon during my morning yoga class when I thought I’d be lucky just to get out of bed, then what other latent abilities do I have to share that day? On the other hand, my less than stellar moments—both on the mat and off—can prove both challenging and frustrating.

Whether we like it or not our imperfections often haunt us. So why not learn to reconsider your flaws—and see them as assets? Here are five ways flaws are beneficial.

1. Owning imperfections leads to self-improvement. Not acknowledging your flaws doesn’t make them not exist—owning them, however, just might. If we want to change things about ourselves that we don’t like, we have to first acknowledge that our negative qualities exist. So step 1—step up and own your flaws.

2. Being perfect is over-rated. If we were all perfect, there would be no ironically quirky indie comedies to watch over and over again. Okay, maybe that’s not top on your list. Regardless, you’ll never be perfect—no matter how hard you try. So stop trying to be perfect and remember that while admitting your flaws is important, it’s also important to recognize all the wonderful things about yourself as well.

3. It’s the flip side. Our bad and good qualities are often the flip side of the same coin.  So you’re stubborn and reliable. You’re passionate and temperamental. You’re spontaneous and flighty. Seeing what you love and dislike about yourself as the flip side of the same coin helps lessen personal frustration—and gives you the ability to turn the negative into positive.

4. You can pass the torch. There’s also a good chance that when you have children, you’ll share some of these “imperfections” with them. Learning to accept—and deal with—your own inner struggles will help you be a better parent. On the flip side, your children might just help you finally love your own quirks.

5. Acceptance leads to confidence—not arrogance. In our yoga practices, confidence gives us the courage to try while arrogance usually leads to injury—and not just on the mat. Understanding the difference between healthy confidence and harmful arrogance is crucial. For one, I think arrogance actually stems from a place of fear and insecurity whereas confidence comes from light and love. Choose love.

Insecurity nags at the best of us—and brings out the worst in us. Yet learning to accept and love yourself for who you are right now helps us to simply enjoy the present moment more. While acknowledging your flaws doesn’t make you an imperfect person, it does make you human. None of us are infallible, but we are all extraordinary in our own ways. Seeing the benefits of having imperfections takes away the judgment—and helps replace it with self-love and inner-peace.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Explore More