5 Reasons You Need to Trust Yourself
Between the internet, TV, magazines and even the radio, we are constantly bombarded by what we should do and how we should do it. Whether you are trying to better yourself by becoming educated on health and wellness to taking steps to be a better parent or better yogi, there is not only an abundance of information but often contradictory information. Thus, how do you dig through all of this “noise”?
You need to learn to trust yourself.
Yes, the concept may sound simple enough, but we all know how easy it is to fall into the trap of the latest and greatest research study. Think about how often you have heard red wine is good for your heart and dark chocolate is full of antioxidants only to hear the next month a study reporting new facts that have led researchers to downplay the benefits of each. Oh wait, then you hear on your favorite morning talk show some breaking news as they are once again chalk full of countless benefits, but only in moderation of course. I must admit, I’m getting confused keeping all this straight, and I’m simply writing it down.
Here’s why you need to learn to trust yourself:
1. Dieting - With summer quickly approaching, it’s easy to fall into the trap of quick fixes. Yes, I’m sure you’ve tried more than one fad approach to weight loss. Thus, this year, why not try something different. Trust yourself! If you know your weakness involves white bread, why not try switching to some whole grain upgrades? If you know you can’t have just one cookie, why even have one? Instead, arm yourself with healthy snacks that you can take with you so you aren’t lured into an inevitable sand trap.
2. Exercise - Oh yes, exercise and dieting often go hand-in-hand, in so many ways. Again, you know what works for you and what motivates you. Do you need to join a gym or hire a personal trainer in order to get motivated? Or, maybe you use the lack of time as a constant excuse and need at-home DVDs or YouTube videos to get you shaking and grooving? On the other hand, maybe what you like best is switching your workouts ups. Fads will come and go, but you know what works best for your body and your lifestyle.
3. Friendships - We’ve all been there or maybe you are there now where you have that friend or group of friends that just brings you down. Instead of letting them get the best of you where you always walk away feeling worse than before you met up with them, why not trust yourself? Of course I’m not saying to dump your friends if you have a scuffle, but trust yourself and what you feel when interacting with this friend or group of friends.
4. Relationships - Whether you get the most of your relationship advice from books, magazines or friends, you know you have probably been guided down some wrong paths before. Sure, there are some amazing morsels of wisdom that can be imparted on us all. Yet, where it often goes wrong is when you not only take those morsels, but the entire truckload full of morsels. Thus, you are left with only the advice of others and in the midst of it all, completely lose track of who you are and what you want from this relationship or the next. Stay true to yourself by trusting yourself.
5. Career - Time to break the glass ceiling or learn office 101 etiquette or rehearse the top interview questions. Yes, there is a lot of career advice from many different sources, which is great as it allows you to sift through the information in order to find what best applies to you. You see, therein lies the nugget of contemplation. You need to ensure you are sifting through the information as everyone’s career path is slightly different because we are all unique. Thus, take what you learn and make it your own. Trust yourself.
I’m the first to say I love reading hints and tips from others as it’s a way to grow and evolve. Yet, it is so important you stay rooted in who you are as a person or the pieces of wisdom you do learn no longer have the same impact if the motivation behind them is no longer yours.
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.