Are you nourishing yourself completely? When considering this question, the first thing that comes to mind may be food. Indeed, nutrients, minerals, carbs, proteins, fats, etc are essential components of the nutritional foundation for your unique body. However it’s important to look beyond food for nourishment as well. It’s easy to become preoccupied by the nuts and bolts of modern nutrition and lose sight of the mosaic of our lives and nourishment in its many forms. Here are my favorite ways that you can catch a glimpse into the essence of holistic nutrition. These are key pieces to get you started down the path of nourishing yourself completely!
1. Find your bliss. When was the last time you just played? Personally, I love to play! I am a glutton for skiing powder days in the Colorado mountains and paddlesurfing glassy little waves on the Mexican Pacific. These are the blissful and happiest moments of my life; moments that remind me of the simple delight that comes with being alive. If you haven’t let your inner child come out to play lately it might be time. You might also ask yourself the simple question “what makes me happy?”. This is the beginning of understanding how to nourish yourself.
2. Connect with Mother Nature. Nature not only provides us with basic nutrients like sunlight, clean oxygen, food, water, etc. it is also a lesson in balance, harmony and rhythm. The natural world has endless wisdom and nourishment to share with us! Unfortunately, in this modern world of technology and busyness, it’s easy find ourselves somewhat disconnected from Mother Nature. It’s important to ask yourself if you’re spending enough time in the natural world. I personally can’t get seem to get enough green in my life, not surprisingly I’ve been nicknamed “the jungle girl.” Time in the natural world nourishes me in a way that food simply cannot; I’m totally hooked!
3. Tap into your inspiration. Inspiration is truly one of the best medicines. Have you spent some time considering what your calling in life might be? What kind of work do you love to do? What gets you excited and motivated? There is nothing quite like the feeling of being lost in a project that inspires you. You lose all track of time, stresses fall away, your mind is vibrant and humming with positive thoughts. Treat yourself to some inspiration and enjoy the natural high!
4. Yoga. As I do my sun salutations in the early morning light of the jungle I am overcome by a remarkable sense of calm and a reassuring sensation that I’m in the right place at the right time; such a beautiful feeling. The deep breath and flowing motion of my practice is also a treat to every cell in my body. I’m sure all you yoginis and yogis out there know what I’m talking about. My yoga practice is most definitely one of the fuels for my life; an essential source of strength, balance and clarity. There are many many different styles of yoga out there, I encourage you to do some experimenting to see what yoga practice might work best for you.
5. Consider your relationships. As we rush through our busy lives it’s easy to take the people around us for granted and lose sight of the valuable nourishment that the people in our lives provide. It’s essential to cherish your strong and healthy relationships and maybe even consider letting go of the friendships that no longer serve you. Your family, friends, co-workers, etc. all play an important role in your life. It’s important to make a point of noticing how your relationships nourish your body and your mind.
Did you catch a glimpse of the unique and beautiful mosaic of your life? These are all essential parts of the nourishment equation and only the beginning your holistic nutrition journey. Now is a great time to take a look at the delicate balance of nourishment in your life and consider how to start working on the areas that may have been neglected. Lack of balance can cause emotional and physical health challenges so it’s important to start listening to your unique body and figuring out the mosaic of nourishment that works best for you. If you want to begin listening to your body, I hope you can check out my free guide. Let’s get started!