6 Tips for Getting the Best Sleep

I am sure you have all heard about the importance of sleep. But, did you know that poor sleep not only lessens your productivity for the following day but it also disturbs your concentration, your metabolism, your ability to reason, your sex drive, your cardiovascular functioning, your mental health, your memory, your ability to cope with stress, and your weight?

Yes, we all know how important sleep is. But how many people actually have good sleep routines? I am talking seven or eight hours of solid, deep, undisturbed sleep where you wake up feeling refreshed, revitalised, and ready for a kick-ass day!

If sleep is something you struggle with, try implementing some of these tips and watch your health soar:

1. Limit Electronics

Two hours before bedtime, make sure your computer, your TV, and your mobile phone are turned off—and out of sight. Most electronics have a backlight. This affects the human circadian rhythms. This, in turn, will affect the quality of your sleep and how quickly you fall asleep.

Instead, try winding down by reading a book, doing deep breathing, having a warm epsom salt bath, meditating, or listening to soft relaxing music.

2. No Eating Three Hours before Bedtime

When we eat anything, our bodies set to work digesting the food. So, if you jump into bed while your food is still being digested, it is going to make it even harder for you to fall asleep. In addition, all the magic (detoxing and restoring) that occurs when you are asleep doesn’t get done because your body is still trying to break down the food you just ate!

Try avoiding caffeine and alcohol before bed also. Alcohol reduces your sleep quality and caffeine can cause sleep problems even up to twelve hours after drinking it!

3. Black Out!

Make sure your room is as dark as possible. Any light will affect your circadian rhythm. If you need to pee in the middle of the night use a torch or no light at all.

Cover all the electronic devices in the room or try using an eye mask.

4. Wind Down

Winding down is super important—especially if you have had a stressful, manic day. If you have been running around at a million miles per hour and then jump into bed, no doubt your mind is still going to be ticking.

Try dimming all the lights in your house as you get ready for bed. Maybe even light a few scented candles or incense to help create the ‘sleepy’ mood.

5. Room Temperature

The temperature of your bedroom affects your sleep. Most people sleep best in slightly cool (18° C) room with adequate ventilation. A room that is too hot or too cold can interfere with the quality of your sleep.

If noise permits it, sleep with your window slightly open for ventilation.

6. Sleep Equipment

If you are waking up with a sore back or neck you might need to invest in a new mattress or pillow. Experiment with different levels of firmness and see what works for you. You should also have enough room in bed to stretch and turn comfortably.

Give these sleep tips a go. Let me know if you need any more tips for getting a good night’s rest. I’m always happy to help!

Namaste!

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!