How many times have you said, “It’s Wednesday, only two more days until the weekend!”? Most people stumble through each day planning and waiting for the next big adventure; the party they have coming up on Saturday night, the vacation they’ll take this summer, the concert they’ll attend in a few months.
We think of a normal day as something to get through until the real fun begins. Our culture emphasizes the big moments. We honor actors at the Academy Awards, cheer Olympic athletes every four years and have the Kentucky Derby once a year. All these events are exciting. People dress up, newscasters talk about the event for weeks before hand, and spectators come from miles around. In comparison, our normal, everyday lives can seem very mundane. We end up wishing our lives away waiting for that great, future moment.
But, truly, every day is a miracle.
As Thich Nhat Hanh says, “But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize. A blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black curious eyes of a child, our own two eyes. All is a miracle.”
Here are ten miracles we experience all the time.
1. Just the fact that you are alive is a miracle! Of all the millions of possible gene combinations, you came out. The timing was right, you have the right number of chromosomes, your mother was able to carry and nurture you for 9 months. All the conditions have to be just right for someone to be born. Being you and being alive is truly miraculous.
2. The sun comes up and the moon comes out. The earth spins on its axis and we have a brand new day every 24 hours.
3. The seasons change – nature runs in its perfect cycles and we don’t have to do anything except appreciate it.
4. Random acts of kindness. A smile and connection with a stranger.
5. All the different cultures of this world. We are all human yet we developed in many unique ways. Some speak Japanese and eat fish; others speak Spanish and eat paella. Still others speak Russian, English, and Gaelic. We all communicate and create customs yet we have created different ways of speaking, eating preferences and creative expressions that make us special.
6. No matter where you live, you see the same moon as everyone else.
7. We have created amazing technology that we use on a daily basis. You can speak into a little metallic thing and someone thousands of miles away can hear you. You can type on your keyboard and gain access to any information from anywhere in the world you want.
8. Music! It's pretty amazing that someone can play the guitar and bring you to tears because it's so beautiful.
9. Your body works! Your heart beats, your lungs expand, your eyes blink, your skin regenerates, your blood pumps throughout your body, you inhale oxygen and exhale carbon monoxide. Just think about all that your body does. You are a miracle.
10. Friendship. Every day people are connecting, forming friendships, valuing friends they already have. We get to choose who we want to spend time with, what we talk about, and how we spend our time together. Facebook is used by millions of people and is such a success because having friends and being connected is vital to our wellbeing. Sharing your life, thoughts, dreams, hopes and struggles with another and feeling understood is an everyday miracle.
These are just a few examples of the miracles we have in our lives every day. The big momentous events are exciting. They give us something to look forward to, plan for, and who doesn’t like to dress up every now and then?
But the everyday is not something just to be survived or endured until the big event. Each day can be savored.
There are miracles around us all the time. All we have to do is open our eyes and our minds to appreciate them.
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow." ~ Mary Jean Irion