Perpetual Climax: Our 6 Human Needs
Perpetual: lasting for eternity
Climax: the point of greatest intensity or force in an ascending series or progression
The slow and steady build up to something powerful and potent. You might think you can only achieve this through sexual means and while I agree, a pleasant thought, climax is not only achieved after a long-winded session in the sack.
When you are purposeful in your decision-making, and live from a place of security and passion, you can experience perpetual climax. Tony Robbins outlines 6 Human Needs in The Power Within. A conscientious approach to the choices you make can have you constantly climbing towards your most intense potential and greatest self; the perpetual climax.
1. Certainty/Comfort. Certainty is safe. But nothing is certain. Attaching to the way things should be can easily transform “certainty” to suffering. It is ok to have ideas and goals, but remain flexible with the outcome and avoid attaching to events that haven’t yet happened. As Mark Twain once said, "I’ve had a lot of trouble in my life" – most of which never happened. Letting go of should invites opportunity.
2. Variety. Change, change, and change again. As much as we crave certainty, we also need refreshing. There are seasons for reasons and every day is a new chance to carve your own path and plant new seeds.
3. Significance. Your significance isn’t measured in what other people think. Thoughts are a currency that never exchanges hands. Measure your significance with what you are, day-in and day-out.
4. Connection/Love. Love can be reciprocated or not. Whether it is reciprocated or not is entirely out of your hands. Like the old song goes, Love is something if you give it away, you’ll end up having more. It’s true.
Can you feel it building?
5. Growth. I love the question: What would you do if you weren’t afraid? Growth often requires an enormous amount of courage, faith, patience, effort and perseverance. As Anais Nin put it, "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." When we live and act from a place of fear, we become dormant; our potential tightly bound.
6. Contribution. We have all heard the phrase, “pay it forward.” It’s easy to feel compassionate for the less fortunate, to feel sorry or to simply care. Feelings of care and compassion can become the driving force necessary to act on your values and transform your world, our world.
The one characteristic that separates us from our ancestors is that we think about thinking. And we do it all the time. As fanatical as this can become in our heads, we are also armed with a greater beast, choice. Your mind might try to break you, but your choices; they’re the ones that make you.
By expanding your awareness, and then acting with purpose, you will be constantly ascending towards your highest self, the perpetual climax, a feeling that is simultaneously light and powerful.
Enjoy the climb.
Establishing a regular meditation practice can drastically improve your health, and so can choosing the right foods. Ready to learn more about the power of food? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.