How Do You Win Fear Factor? Breathe and...
Does your fear own you? What if it's time to look deeper and allow space, rather than resisting? If you let your fears go, how much more ease would you create in your life? Would you be more willing to step into the bigger part of you? One of the most important questions I was asked before creating a Yoga TV program was,"What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?" To answer this question, I needed to begin unraveling all my fears and open to receiving new possibilities.
I’m not saying you have to go “Fear Factor” into every fear in all areas of your life, but it can be helpful to invite fears in and take a look. When our TV program first became syndicated internationally, I had a fear that I couldn’t continue production while taking care of our children. I didn’t think we could afford a babysitter for a few hours a day and believed travel was out of the question. This was not true and when I faced it with a few questions, my mother in law was more than happy to watch our son when needed. I had actually misinterpreted my excitement for fear, looking for reasons to stay in my “comfort zone” and eliminate any choice to expand. The fear was an illusion!
1. Is this even happening now or am I projecting my worries onto my reality?
2. Is this true for me?
3. How would my body feel without this thought? Notice your body feel lighter and more receptive.
4. What if when the feeling of fear came up, it was only a sign of you about to step into greater possibilities and expansion?
5. What if you asked more questions instead of jumping to conclusions?
6. Is it fear or simply excitement for something new?
7. What if when you let go of the fear, the barriers diminish and more of you could emerge?
Take a moment to write a few of your fears out and notice those fears usually don’t look so big and scary on paper. It’s like shining a light on the boogie man. As you shine a light on your fears you have an opportunity to see them in a new light. As you write your fears out, allow your body to adjust to the new vibration of “fear/excitement” with this breath exercise...
1. Sitting tall, breath in through the nose and slowly out through the mouth, through pursed lips, like you’re blowing out a candle.
2. Inhale slowly for a count of four and exhale for a count of four. As you relax and focus on the breath, you may notice your perspective shifting.
3. As you breath in for a count of four, start to extend the exhale to a count of eight and notice your body relax a little deeper. Don’t make exhaling longer more “work” in your mind or something to “achieve.” Allow the breath to be easy, listen to the feedback of your body. If you feel any tension in your body arise, simply go back to your natural breathing.
This exercise can actually affect your nervous system. Notice if it feels calmer and lighter in this moment.
Just relax and notice whatever it is you are feeling without any judgment. Keep following the in breath of four counts and exhaling for eight counts for a few more cycles of breath. Relax and enjoy the moment of now, where endless possibilities exist!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.