Easy Make-Your-Own Green Smoothie
Spring has officially sprung and it's a great time to not only spring clean your home but also your body. If you are new to detoxing, one easy thing you can do is to start drinking green smoothies. They are healthy, easy, fast and great in place of breakfast, lunch or your highly processed sugary, full of fat afternoon snack. Try one today and let me know your favorite combo! Cheers!
Greens – use about 2 big handfuls (approx 2 oz).
Fruit – makes it sweet so the amount is to taste.
- Bananas (fresh or frozen) – they are used for creaminess too! (½ - 1 whole)
- Frozen fruit – strawberries, blueberries, mango, peaches (½ cup – 1 cup)
- Apples (pears) (about ½ of the fruit)
Fat – makes it creamy and more filling.
- A handful (about a ¼ cup) raw nuts –cashews, almonds, walnuts
- ½ avocado – will give you a thicker smoothie
- Coconut oil
Optional Add-Ins (about 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon).
- Ground flax seed
- Maca powder (adds energy)
- Chia (high in omega fats, protein and fiber)
- Bee pollen (for allergies, reproductive & sexual issues, increase energy, stamina & immunity)
- Cacao powder/ nibs (for a chocolaty version that is full of minerals, vitamins and tons of antioxidants!)
- Ginger (for a spicy healthy kick!)
- Stevia (for a sweeter version - use only a few drops!)
Liquids – Add enough liquid to blend (enough to cover, 1 – 1 ½ cups).
- Water or Coconut Water
- Almond, Coconut, Rice or Hemp Milk
- Put all ingredients in your blender. (I highly recommend Vitamix!)
- Add liquid of choice.
- Happy blending!
A quick note: If you don't have a Vitamix or BlendTec Blender, omit the nuts
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.