5 Things to Look for in a Natural Skincare Line
How can you get flawless skin that glows? You can start by finding a great natural skincare line.
Our skin is our largest organ in the human body and it will most definitely respond to the toxins we ingest. Our skin is not only the largest organ but the thinnest which in turn, makes it the most permeable. Thus, our skin is always telling a story. What you eat, drink, and put on your skin will burst through your pores creating a canvas of your choosing.
There are so many skincare lines to choose from toting radiant skin and transformative results. How do you choose amongst them all when you are not only eco-conscious but healthy minded?
Below are 5 Things to Look for when choosing a skincare line:
1. Avoid products that test on animals. The injustice animals are subjected to is criminal in millions of our minds yet, the abuse ensues. Please do your homework and find out if animal testing is taking place and if so, avoid this particular skincare line. This is a simple yet powerful way to be a voice for anti-cruelty and not only be kind to animals but to your own skin.
2. Pretty Sans 'Parabens'. Studies implicate their connection with cancer because their hormone-disrupting qualities mimic estrogen and could disrupt your body's endocrine system. It is recommended by reputable medical sources that avoiding parabens is 'doubtlessly the best choice one can make as these harmful compounds are able to get into the bloodstream easily.'
3. Effectiveness. It is quite obvious that if the products are not effective, they will not have a customer in you. What is deemed 'effective' must be tailored to your own definition, as your skin is unique to you. So make certain that you ask for samples to try the products before you purchase an entire line. If they will not let you 'try before you buy', then I would recommend waving 'bah-bye vs. buy'.
4. Organic. "The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) is the only true organic standard for skin care products. It is the original program for certifying food as organic. Because of the lack of an organic standard for skin care, cosmetics and personal care products, the NOP has been certifying these products for a number of years now as well" - Christine H. Farlow, D.C. Christine's site is one of the best that I have seen regarding how to decide on a natural, organic and paraben free skincare line.
5. Natural. Look at the ingredient list and discern whether they are from nature's storehouse. Ok, stop. What does 'Natural' even mean? 'Basically, it means that if you process something that starts off natural (i.e. from plants, animals and minerals), then it remains natural as long as you don't change its chemical composition. For example, if you extract an essential oil from a flower, the resulting product is still natural. However, if you subject a natural ingredient to a chemical process, then the result is synthetic.'
My final tip in discerning between the hype and truth in skin care is to utilize the site, ewg.org. You can plug any skin care ingredient into their search engine and they will give you the skinny. This site is a valuable tool for all environmentally conscious consumers regarding any products.
With the help of all of these fabulous sources, I think I have literally summed up an ideal skin care line that will help you to get your glow on. A natural, organic skincare line that doesn't use parabens or test on animals, which ultimately is incredibly effective!
Pictured is Kelly Dowdle
And are you ready to learn more about the lifestyle changes you can make TODAY to feel vibrantly healthy? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.