I remember there was a time in yoga class when I watched people around me balancing precariously on their hands in Bakasana (Crow Pose) and believing it was impossible. I thought it would be too difficult considering my big ass but realized that the simple modification of standing on a block gave my booty the lift it needed to be able to engage my core strength to defy gravity.
Here are the 5 steps for Bakasana for any body:
1. Squat on a block and put your hands shoulder distance apart.
2. Lift the hips higher than the shoulders and look forward.
3. Squeeze the knees outside of the triceps.
4. Engage the core and pull the navel in and up.
5. Breathe deeply and practice lifting a foot, or both feet, off the ground.