I have just come back from a blissful yoga retreat -- a week of yoga, meditation, massages, gourmet organic, vegan meals all set in an eco-friendly cabin in a rainforest on the beach. It was a week of heaven.
Coming back to reality is hard. I was so relaxed, at peace and – for lack of a better word – Zen! I promised myself that I would continue on this path to keep this feeling as long as possible. Unfortunately life starts getting in the way, and it becomes more and more challenging to maintain your new Zen state without a personal yoga teacher to encourage your practice, and chef preparing all of your meals.
But all is not lost! With a little preparation you can continue your healthy lifestyle even with the obstacles of busy life! Here are a few tips that make a daily retreat-style existence more manageable:
1. Go to a farmer’s market/organic grocer and by vegetables in bulk! Then chop them up and put away in freezer bags ready to be used for a quick addition to dinner! That way a plate of delicious organic veggies is just as quick and convenient as a heat-up ready meal!
2. Focus on eating a whole foods, low allergen diet!
3. Try Bircher muesli for breakfast by combining ½ cup oats, 1 grated apple, ½ cup nut milk/soy milk and a mix of nuts and seeds over night and serving in the morning with fresh berries.
Have a quinoa salad for lunch with mixed veggies, 1 cup cooked quinoa and a scattering of walnuts toped with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt.
4. Snack on fresh veggies, hummus, nuts and fruit.
5. Finish the day with balsamic baked vegetables with beans – combine chopped pumpkin, sweet potato, capsicum, zucchini, carrot, onion in a baking dish with ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 garlic cloves and scattering of dried thyme, rosemary and sea salt and pepper, and bake for 30 minutes at 425F/220C stirring occasionally. Serve veggies with cannellini beans and toasted seeds!
6. Give yourself “at home” treatments: