5 Simple Tips to Battle Stress
As I sit in my apartment overlooking a 75-degree and sunny Miami, I have a lot of plans and goals running through my head for this year. Open a West Coast office for my company (February). Attend a Tony Robbins Seminar (March). Help plan my MBA reunion (May). Cultivate a long distance relationship (ongoing). Maybe take a personal trip (whenever I can). It’s daunting the number of things I’d like to do…and earlier today, for a period of time, I felt that unwelcome feeling of stress start to creep in. (Which is not cool and in no way ok.)
Thankfully, the universe came in with a little help through a book I’m reading, Spiritual Revelation by Rev Michael Beckwith, and pep talk by an old friend. Sometimes, when you’re not at your best, looking outside can be a great move.
Here are 5 simple gems that helped me today when I needed it:
- You shape your own destiny by the attitude that you keep (Beckwith)
- Discipline is healthy, and takes you beyond temporary emotion (Beckwith)
- You get to keep what you give away (Beckwith)
- You have to cultivate your happiness from the inside (old friend)
- You don’t have a choice, you’re coming (old friend)
These points are great advice in general, but uniquely valuable to me today—leading me to a final reflective thought: when you’re in a down state, pay attention to the flow of supportive information being sent your way. It’s always available to us, the trick is noticing it.