4 Things to Strive for in 2012

I have never been one for New Years resolutions. They never seem to last, have much depth or substance, and seem rather superficial for the most part. I think a lot of times people set an end goal, like losing 10 pounds, when instead they should be mapping out how they are going to get there, why they want to be there, and how they will stay there. So this year, instead of placing pressure on myself to achieve definite things, like being able to hold a handstand for two minutes, I am going to make my resolutions all about shifting my perspective – which I am confident will ultimately bring me to my goals in 2012.  

1. Appreciate what you already have – This is something I have recently come to terms with and I intend on making a point to acknowledge how fortunate I am every day in 2012. The fact of the matter is that wherever you are in life, you probably have at least a handful of things that you can be thankful for. The more you acknowledge that handful of goodness, the more it will grow, and eventually become two handfuls.

2. Be mindful of your actions – When we do things that we regret, it is usually because we acted rashly and without contemplation. Once you say or do something that you feel bad about, it cannot be taken back. If you haven’t already read Don Miguel Ruiz’s book, The Four Agreements, I highly suggest that you pick up a copy as soon as possible if this point is something you would like to work on in 2012. One of his agreements is to “Be impeccable with your word.” Never underestimate the power of your words, and always try to act in a way that reflects well upon your path.

3. Choose love over fear – Fear is crippling and will hold you back from achieving your goals and sometimes stop you in your tracks entirely. The power of our brains is astounding, and it can completely rule our bodies in good ways or bad, depending on what we chose. So don’t give in to that negative chatter in your head that tries to put you in your place, instead come from a place of love and encouragement to go for your goals, no matter how impossible they may seem.

4. Reach for the Stars – Why not make this year YOUR year? Be the person you wish you were. Go for the gold. Go big or go home. Whatever your motto may be, work on what you want to achieve with your whole soul and make things happen in 2012. This is your life, so start working towards those things you have been dreaming about and don’t let anything get in your way.

Happy New Year and all of the best to you in 2012!

Explore More