Why Dogs Are the Ulitmate Yogis
Everything I've needed to know about life, I've learned from dogs. I often joke that I am like a dog: if I am unwalked, unstretched, unfed or unloved, I get grumpy, and start tugging on my leash. OK, the leash bit is metaphorical, but the rest is 100% fact.
As I tramp the parks and beaches near my house, I watch the dogs and I think about how much simpler our lives would be if we just lived like, well, dogs.
Everything you need to know about living, you can learn from watching dogs:
- Drink lots of water.
- Rest in the heat of the day.
- Walk every day.
- Stretch when you wake up, and when you have been still for a while.
- Playtime is always good, no matter how old you are.
- When you meet someone new, be friendly, but sniff them out and don’t get too close until you are sure they’re not going to bite you.
- If your ears are being scratched right now, then life is good. It doesn’t matter what happened five minutes ago...
- Greet every new day with enthusiasm!
- Sometimes, if you don’t follow the rules, you will get into trouble, but sometimes you won’t. It’s worth pushing the boundaries just to investigate what’s possible.
- Seeing your loved ones again at the end of the day really is the most exciting thing ever!
- There are so many interesting smells and sights in this world: investigate them.
- It helps to be in the right place at the right time: how else do you get the best pickings off the barbecue?
- Be gentle and patient with children.
- Growl when you need to, and bite if you feel very threatened. It’s not always appropriate to roll over and show your belly.
- Be loyal.
- How you have been treated is a direct indicator for how you will behave now, but that can change with love and the right circumstances.