3 Natural Solutions for Beautiful, Healthy Looking Hair
Consumers are now waking up to the fact that chemical-laden soaps, shampoos and cosmetics are not only dangerous for our own health, but can also be extremely harmful for our environment.
To emphasize this point, have a look at these shocking facts below.
- Cosmetic packaging makes up one third of all waste stored in landfill sites. Natural product manufacturers tend to have a greater concern for the environment and package their products accordingly.
- Thirty-eight thousand animals die each year testing our chemical-laden cosmetics. Natural products do not need to be tested on animals, therefore switching to natural alternatives saves thousands of innocent animals’ lives.
- Nanoparticles found in sunscreens and other personal healthcare products can lead to premature aging and, in extreme cases, cause the onset of skin cancer. Plus, washing these particles from our skin and hair enables the particles to infiltrate our lakes, streams and rivers harming marine ecosystems. Natural alternatives do not contain these nanoparticles.
- Parabens, phenols, dioxanes and many other chemicals found in hair care products and cosmetics that serve to preserve the shelf life have been identified as potentially dangerous carcinogens (a substance directly involved in causing cancer).
Considering these dangerous facts (and there are many more I haven’t mentioned) would you rather make the switch to natural products to care for your hair and body?
I thought so.
That’s why, in this article, I’m going to reveal my top three natural products for beautiful, soft, luxurious looking hair without the dangerous side effects.
Here they are…
1. Olive Oil
We all have a bottle of olive oil in our home – but most only use it as a healthy and tasty dressing for our salads.
Olive oil actually has a huge number of benefits for keeping our hair beautiful and healthy. It helps to soften, nourish and condition. Here’s a very simple olive oil hair recipe that takes just two minutes to make, but will work wonders for your hair.
1. Mix half a cup of olive oil with 4-5 drops of an essential oil – such as lavender, rosemary or frankincense. Shake well and leave to stand for 24 hours in a cool, dark place.
2. Again, shake before use and pour one tablespoon measure into your hands. Rub together to warm up.
3. Using your fingertips, gently massage the olive oil mixture into your scalp. Then massage more of the mixture onto the tips of your hair.
4. Secure a plastic bag around your hair and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse the mixture out and shampoo.
You should be left with beautiful, soft, silky, luxurious, healthy looking hair.
Give it a go!
2. Shea Butter
Shea Butter is renowned for its beneficial applications for our skin, but it is actually highly useful at caring for our hair, too. In fact, in some circles it is known as “Mother Nature’s hair conditioner”.
Derived from the fruit of the Shea tree nut, the butter hydrates, soothes and restores balance and natural shine to your hair. It repairs split ends, prevents breakage, protects from weather damage and acts as a shield against harmful UV rays with its SPF 6 rating.
You can apply simply raw unrefined Shea Butter to your hair, but for a more effective treatment, try this whipped Shea Butter for hair recipe.
Using a combination of unrefined Shea Butter, olive oil, vitamin E oil and a fragrance oil (e.g. lavender oil) you can make your own natural Shea Butter hair care product that nourishes, moisturizes and conditions your hair.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel of matured coconut and has been used as an effective hair care treatment for many generations in the Indian Subcontinent.
This sweet smelling oil is perhaps the most effective oil for healthy, beautiful hair and can be applied alone, without mixing with other oils or natural products, to reap the maximum benefits.
One of the most important properties of coconut oil that makes it so effective is its rich source of vitamin E. Recent research suggests that vitamin E is a trigger for stimulating new hair growth. It does this by causing new capillary growth on the scalp which leads to improved blood flow and the ability to deliver oxygen to where it is required.
The chemical composition of coconut oil means it is not easily broken down or evaporated. This means moisture is unable to escape from the hair, keeping it moist, soft and shiny.
Perhaps consider swapping your chemical laden conditioner with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Your hair, and the environment, will thank you for it.