This is a refreshing, hearty smoothie that can be enjoyed as breakfast, lunch, snack, dessert or any time. It is wonderful with ice on a warm day, or slightly warmed on low heat on the stove when it’s cool outside.
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of raw sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 kilo of carrots
- 1/2 head cos/romaine lettuce
- Stevia to taste
- Chai spice (either buy premixed or use the following – 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cardamom, 1/8 tsp allspice, pinch nutmeg, pinch cloves)
- Juice the carrots and lettuce. How much juice you get will depend on the size of your carrots and lettuce. Add more of each to get 1 litre/32oz. You want to use 3/4 carrot juice to 1/4 cos/romaine juice.
- Place the cubed sweet potato, avocado flesh, spice and juice in a blender. Add 3 dropperfuls of liquid stevia and blend well. If you have a low speed blender you will need to blend for an extra minute or two to ensure the smoothie is smooth and creamy.
- Taste the smoothie and adjust the stevia and spice to your liking. I like to add a full tray of ice cubes and blend until smooth and creamy again, but this is optional. Alternatively you can serve over ice, straight up or warmed slightly as suggested above.
- Enjoy this fantastic drink, or grab a spoon and eat it as a soup.
(Adapted from Natalia Rose’s 'Pumpkin Pie In A Bowl' recipe)