5 Beauty Entrepreneurs Spill Their Favorite DIY Recipes

5 Beauty Entrepreneurs Spill Their Favorite DIY Recipes Hero Image
Photo: @beautyheroes

There's nothing like a little downtime to whip up a beauty treat—place it in a mason jar and treat yo'self to something that'll make you look and feel extra pretty. Lucky for you, these amazing beauty pros have revealed a few of their best beauty secrets (we only had to coax them a little)—a series of simple DIY recipes that are completely natural and deeply rooted in their heritage and brand.

Wielding a wooden spoon in one hand and a lemon in the other has never looked more appealing...

Adina Grigore, founder of S.W. Basics

Super-Rich Cream:

I believe that shea butter is the single greatest skin-care ingredient. It changed my life, and it is essentially the reason I started S.W. Basics. Shea butter is incredibly healing, and it improves virtually every skin ailment. With mine, those improvements happened overnight. I love cocoa butter because it smells like (and is!) chocolate. It is also very moisturizing and gentle. The addition of avocado oil makes this cream just a touch less rich, so it's easier to spread around and soak in. The result is a super-luxurious staple that is also a powerful moisturizer and skin treatment.

Ingredients

Preparation

1. Melt shea butter and cocoa butter in a small pot on the stovetop (ideally in a double boiler) until completely liquefied, stirring well.
  2. Remove from heat and stir in avocado oil. Allow to completely cool, and then cover and place in the fridge until it solidifies, usually one to two hours.
  3. After an hour, give it a stir—the texture should be like butter. Transfer to a lidded jar and use within six to eight months, because your hands will introduce bacteria into the product that will make it spoil.
  4. Heads up: This recipe will make your pot very oily; you may need to soak it in some hot, soapy water to clean. Also, it will make enough uses to last you that entire six to eight months.

Valerie Grandury, founder of Odacité

Rejuvenating Face Mask:

Pairing the hydrating properties of avocado and olive oil with the antioxidants of turmeric and anti-inflammatory benefits of honey heals dry, chapped skin without clogging the pores.

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon raw honey
  • 1 teaspoon of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon mashed avocado
  • ¼ teaspoon turmeric

Preparation

1. Mix the ingredients together.
  2. Apply to your face and leave on for 20 minutes.
  3. Rinse off with tepid water.

Dr. Sarah Villafranco, founder of Osmia Organics

Firming, Plumping, Chocolaty, Try-Not-to-Lick-Your-Face DIY Mask:

There's so much goodness in this simple mask. Flaxseeds provide essential fatty acids and banana gives a vitamin and potassium boost to the cells. Raw honey is antibacterial and very softening for the skin. And raw cacao provides an antioxidant boost as well as a gentle firming effect from the caffeine it contains.

Ingredients

Preparation

1. Combine all ingredients, stirring until smooth, and let the mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
  2. Apply to your clean face and neck, and leave for 20 minutes. You'll want to step into the shower to massage this one off—it's really messy!
  3. Make sure it's completely rinsed off, and follow with your usual facial care products. Your skin should feel plump and hydrated for the next day or two, so enjoy!

Rikita Kapadia, founder of Cocovít

Brightening Chickpea Flour Face Mask:

This Ayurvedic recipe been passed down for over four generations in my family and provides smooth, glowing skin. Besan has been used for centuries in India as it is excellent for an exfoliating face mask that leaves skin refreshed, blemish-free, and noticeably brighter. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that turmeric possesses can soothe skin blemishes and heal acne scars. Honey is naturally antibacterial and packed with antioxidants, making it an excellent acne treatment that also slows down aging. It also boosts complexion since it is extremely moisturizing and soothing.

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoon besan flour (chickpea flour)
  • ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 2 teaspoons honey (I prefer Manuka honey)
  • Yogurt, milk, or water

Preparation

1. Combine besan flour, honey, turmeric powder, and slowly add in your liquid (yogurt, milk, or water), as needed.
  2. Start with a few drops and add more as needed.
  3. Apply mixture to clean, dry skin and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly; tone and moisturize your skin as usual.

Jeannie Jarnot, founder of Beauty Heroes

All-in-One Detoxifying, Calming, Hydrating Face Mask:

This recipe is adapted from a mask my long-term esthetician would mix in her studio just for me and apply right after extractions. It's one of my favorite all-in-one treatments, and it smells so good.

Ingredients

Preparation

1. Mix all the ingredients together and paint onto clean skin with a mask brush or small, soft paint brush.
  2. The seaweed is gently detoxifying and the yogurt is gently exfoliating and prevents the seaweed from pulling.
  3. The blue chamomile calms redness and makes this mask smell amazing, which is very important to me!

Explore More