This Valentine's Day, why not infuse your life with a little magic? These dairy-free truffles are infused with a secret ingredient—flower essences," says Alisa Gould-Simon, founder of Flora Luna. "They're natural remedies that support the healing and balance of the emotional and spiritual body."
While you likely recognize them from the bright yellow Bach Rescue Remedies that populate natural grocery store checkout counters, flower essences are a broad category that can be used for any number of purposes.
Katie Hess, the founder of Lotus Wei, says she typically uses them in recipes that aren't cooked (no brownies or cakes!) so the energetic integrity of the essences in maintained. "While fruits and vegetables already have their own inherent energy and vitality, using flower essences in food is fun, because you can tailor how you want people to feel by eating," she says. "Depending on the flower elixir used, you can induce a feeling a joy, peacefulness, chillax, vitality, creativity...the sky is the limit! It's like adding a magic potion to your food that makes people feel happy!"
While scientific studies on the efficacy of flower essences are mixed, some experts think energy medicine is the way of the future, and this time of year it's fun to believe in the power of love and magic (and if you don't, you should certainly believe in the well-documented results of the placebo effect).
These truffles are dairy-free, insanely decadent and can be customized for your favorite flavor preference, from matcha to rose to lavender to salted almond to cinnamon and cayenne. If the flower essences don't make your cupid's target fall in love with you, their flavor certainly will.
Magical Love Potion Dairy-Free Chocolate Truffles
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 10.5 ounces high quality dark chocolate (70% or higher)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 10 drops flower essence of choice (we love Lotus Wei Infinite Love Elixir and Flora Luna Love and Passion Essences)
- 1 teaspoon powdered matcha + more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon rose water + edible rose petals for garnish
- 1 teaspoon crushed lavender + more for garnish
- 1/4 cup crushed salted almonds + more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne + 1 teaspoon cinnamon + more for garnish
- In a small pan over medium heat, heat coconut milk until just simmering.
- In a heat proof bowl, break chocolate into pieces.
- Pour warm milk over the chocolate, whisking until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and flower essences and whisk again.
- If using flavors, add the first ingredient listed (not garnish).
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 - 3 hours, or until set.
- Using a cold spoon and clean, dry hands, scoop out and roll into balls. Roll into garnish until well-coated, if desired.
- Place on parchment paper and refrigerate again to set. Store covered in the fridge, removing 10 - 15 minutes before eating for best texture.