In life we are constantly striving for balance, whether it’s with work, relationships, food … so why should beauty be any different? Here at mbg, we take an inside-out outside-in approach to beauty, because we believe that the more we take care of ourselves, the better we feel. This week, we’re focusing on the self-care rituals that help you take care of your skin. Instead of treating skincare as a chore or an indulgence, try embracing it for 6 days and enjoy the act of caring for your skin, and thus yourself. We bet you’ll be surprised at how good it feels. Let us know!
If your schedule at the moment seems unrelenting, take comfort in the fact that ours is too. And if your pre-going-out process is more manic than mellow (hands up), then your skin, a reflection of both your mental and physical health as well as the products that you're putting on and taking off of it on a daily basis, won't look as sparkly as it could. 'Tis the season after all to to nourish your face (and body) wholeheartedly when all the cameras (and camera phones) will be snapping!
Finally, I've perfected a facial that is perfect for the party season. Not only will it give you the candescent, look-at-me skin you deserve, but you can do it in fifteen minutes at home, without needing a trowel-application of make-up to re-enter the world. The key component of it is three masks that promote your skin's natural equilibrium, removing impurities to even skin texture and increase its absorption of moisture. You can quickly start to feel it working and it's a great skin boost if you, and your skin, have had a long week or month.
Downtime? There is none! This is a case where your skin looks better afterwards, not worse. And finally? I hope you're off somewhere that makes you and your face happy as a clam!
Kayla's Pre-Going Out Facial
Clogged pores, a lack of radiance and an uneven skin surface are all symptoms of congested skin. Product build-up, poor diet and environmental factors can leave your face lacking its usual clarity and glow. Exfoliate the top layer of skin—this is what causes that lackluster winter look. Remember to treat your décolleté too—you will see revitalization almost immediately.
This exfoliation prepares the skin for better absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and hydration, from the immune-boosting mushroom mask and decongesting clay. It’s impossible to over-hydrate during the winter, which is why I add in the coconut oil as a final flourish—truly one the best way to infuse moisture and give good glow!
- Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Clarity Mask or any exfoliator you have.
- Dr Weil Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Face Mask or 3 tablespoons of organic plain yoghurt
- Environ Sebumasque or Aztec Secret Healing Indian Clay. If you don't have any clay, 2 tablespoons of raw honey will do.
- Extra Virgin Organic Raw Coconut Oil
- Wash face and chest with your cleanser of choice.
- Soak a washcloth in hot water and a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Press firmly over face and breathe in three times.
- Apply Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Clarity Mask or your at-home exfoliator for 5 minutes. Rinse.
- Mix big dollops of Dr Weil Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Face Mask, Environ Sebumasque and a teaspoon of coconut oil for the ultimate moisturizing, purifying and soothing face-fest. If you need to keep it super simple, mix the plaint yoghurt and raw honey with the coconut oil. Leave on for 10 minutes.
- Then wash with warm (not hot) water so the coconut oil dissolves and you're done! Skin officially de-bacteria'd, softened up, less red, and glowing too.
Note: The only tricky parts are A) not scaring loved ones, and B) not dripping a bunch on the carpet.