All The Festive Flavors Of The Season Without All The Sugar
Enjoying the flavors of the season doesn't have to mean indulging in unhealthful, sugar-laden drinks. Swap out your go-to treat with one of these drinks and you'll get all the heady nostalgia you associate with a mug of super-sweet cocoa without the crash. Sharing a nutritious holiday mug with your loved ones is a great way to celebrate the season and nurture healthy habits. Cheers to that!
Christmas in a Cup
- 2 to 3 bags black tea
- 2 pods black cardamom
- 5 to 6 pods green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- thumb-size ginger peeled and roughly cut
- almond milk *optional
- Place the green cardamom, black cardamom, fennel, and caraway seeds in a mortar and grind the ingredients with the pestle.
- Fill your kettle halfway with water, adding the contents of the mortar along with the cloves, cinnamon stick, and ginger.
- Bring to a boil. Remove from flame and add black teabags.
- Let seep 5 to 8 minutes.
Warm Ginger Almond Milk
- ¼ cup raw, organic almonds
- 1 cup purified water + 1 cup for soaking the almonds
- ½-inch piece of fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Place the almonds in a small bowl and cover with 1 cup purified water. Allow the almonds to soak for 4 to 12 hours.
- Drain the almonds and place them in a Vitamix or high-speed blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the blender and turn to highest setting. Allow the blender to run until the mixture is warmed through, about 3bminutes. On a Vitamix you can tell when it’s heated by slowing the speed and lifting the lid—if steam appears, it's finished.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
Raw & Creamy Cashew Chai Latte
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in water for 1 hour)
- 3 cups of filtered water, infused with your favorite chai tea
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- cacao nibs
- After soaking your cashews, discard soaking water and rinse carefully.
- Place your cashews, your tea (slightly warm or cold), and a pinch of cinnamon in your high-speed blender and blend until nice and creamy.
- Top up with some cinnamon powder and cacao nibs.
- Serve warm or cold and enjoy!
Anti-Inflammatory Green Tea With A Peppermint & Nettle Kick
This green tea packs an antioxidant punch, pairing deliciously with flavorful peppermint leaves and anti-inflammatory nutrient-rich nettle. Brew hot tea for a lovely, low-caffeine alternative to coffee, or serve iced for a deliciously hydrating summer drink. If you need some sweetness in the iced version, add a splash of 100 percent fruit juice or a small amount of pureed fruit.
- Bulk green tea leaves
- Dried nettle leaf
- Dried peppermint
- Mix green tea leaves, nettle, and peppermint in a glass Mason jar with 1:1:1 ratio for a supply that will last from weeks to months.
- Cap tightly and shake to mix.
- Use about 1 tablespoon of tea leaves per cup of tea. Adjust based on flavor preference.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (use ¼ teaspoon if you'd like it a little less gingery)
- ½ tablespoon 100 percent pure maple syrup
- Chai tea bag
- Boil water in tea kettle (or however you like to warm up water). Place chai tea bag and hot water in a measuring cup so it's easy to pour into your mug later on. Let teabag steep for about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how strong you like your tea.
- Blend almond milk, cinnamon, ginger, and maple syrup in Vitamix for 3 to 4 minutes, which makes the mixture hot. If you don't have a Vitamix, no worries; just heat the mixture on the stove on medium heat.
- Pour the gingerbread mixture into your favorite holiday mug, filling the mug about ¾ full. Then fill the rest of the mug with the hot chai tea.
- You can play with more or less of the chai tea and mixture to see what you prefer.
- You can also just drink the warm gingerbread mix without the tea for a noncaffeinated treat.
- Top with cinnamon.
- Cheers to gingerbread, the holidays, and warm, sweet treats!
Ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.