With temps dropping, warm, creamy soups are calling my name.
This recipe marries roasted pumpkin (filled with vitamin A, fiber, and beta-carotene!) with creamy coconut and spices to create a filling dish perfect for a cozy night in, entertaining guests, or even a leftover lunch.
Turmeric ups the anti-inflammatory factor, too, which never hurts.
Vegan Roasted Pumpkin Soup
Serves 4-6 (depending on if it's served as a side or main dish)
- 1 small pumpkin (sugar pumpkin)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small white onion
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh turmeric or turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Cut open pumpkin and scoop out seeds. Quarter the pumpkin.
2. Brush olive oil on inside and flip upside down on parchment paper on a pan.
3. Bake for about 40 minutes, until soft. Once done, set aside to cool. Once cooled, peel skin off the pumpkin.
4. In a pot, lightly saute onion and garlic. Add vegetable broth and all spices.
5. Add pumpkin and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for about 10 minutes and move soup mixture to a blender.
6. Add coconut milk and blend until smooth. Transfer back to pot and bring back to a simmer. Adjust spices to your taste.