5 Signs You're Overwhelmed + Self-Care Strategies To Get Back On Track

Photo: Stocksy

In our everyday lives, we're often juggling many roles: wife, mother, sister, daughter, colleague, boss, and, the most important of all, leaving time for yourself. Always being in-demand can leave you feeling tired out, cranky, and emotional with nothing left in the tank.

I’ve been there and it’s not pretty. At one point, I was burnt out, I had no motivation, and I was almost working on autopilot. I felt as though I couldn’t achieve anything without being called on for something else, so why bother in the first place? I had to regain control of my life, so I drew upon my holistic therapy training to help myself (for once!). The trick is to look out for these five signs that you're overwhelmed, and then follow these simple strategies to regain control.

1. You're always tired.

No matter how much sleep you’ve had, you’re constantly sleepy. Your evenings are firmly set on the sofa with no energy.

Regardless of how much you rest, a busy mind will lead to a very tired mind and body. Try implementing a bedtime routine. Choose a bedtime and stick to it, and wind down first with a hot drink; chamomile tea is perfect for calming the mind and relaxation. Lavender oil sprinkled on a tissue and placed by your bed will also induce good, calm sleep, as will an amethyst crystal placed beneath your pillow.

2. You're tense and highly strung.

You feel on edge all day long. You may be snappy and irritable, and things may make you jump very easily.

If you feel yourself becoming particularly irritable or anxious, steal a few moments to go somewhere quiet (even if it’s escaping to the bathroom!). Close your eyes and allow yourself to relax your mind. Take in a deep breath through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth. Do this five times and slowly open your eyes. Take a moment to wake up properly, and then go back and face the situation with a clear head.

Arrow Created with Sketch. Article continues below

3. You feel withdrawn.

You no longer feel like socializing and opt for a night in on the sofa than going out. Coffee dates no longer appeal and you would rather stay home in your own cozy little world.

Firstly, let me say, there is nothing wrong with staying in or being introvert. It is when leaving the house becomes a chore and conversation no longer comes easily that you may feel you are withdrawing from those around you. If this is beginning to happen, taking some quality time for yourself can help to refresh and renew you. Me-time can come in many forms: hiding away in bed reading your favorite book, a long bubble bath with a glass of wine, a long run in beautiful countryside. Whatever it is for you, schedule me time in every. single. day. It is not a luxury, but a necessity for your wellbeing.

4. You keep on procrastinating.

Your to-do list is so long that you have no idea where to start. In fact, you are putting off starting at all because it just seems futile.

Don’t look at the to-do list as a whole, since its length can be overwhelming. Instead, prioritize certain items and take one thing at a time. It’s all about small, manageable steps. Focus on this one task until it is complete, without looking too far ahead. You are only one person, so take one thing at a time and you will make steady progress and if you need to, ask for help.

5. You're super emotional.

You feel teary and crying at the drop of a hat. So much emotion has built up and it just cannot be kept in anymore.

Express yourself. Let the tears out and have a good cry to clear your system. The process of release will help by itself. Once this has been released, balance and ground yourself again. To do this, sit with your feet flat on the floor. Close your eyes and take a deep breath. Now visualize your feet being pulled to the ground, with tree roots coming from your feet and growing deep into the earth, keeping you grounded and in touch with mother nature. Hold this visualization for a couple of minutes and then slowly open your eyes. Stamp your feet lightly on the ground before getting up.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!