8 Things You Need To Know Today (September 23)

Photo: Getty

1. Gina Rodriguez isn't perfect, and she wants to celebrate that.

The Jane the Virgin star told Women's Health that, having come to love and appreciate her uniqueness, she doesn't want it "glossed over." Rodriguez explains, "It really feels good when a photo can capture my heart, my body, my spirit … Let me keep my curves, you know? My birthmark. I want to look like myself.” (Huffington Post)

2. Racial diversity has dipped this NYFW, but body diversity is up.

In February's fashion week, 31.9 percent of castings were made up of models of color, as compared to the 30.1 percent we saw this September. On the bright side, there was more body diversity at the Spring 2017 NYFW than there has ever been, with no less than 16 plus-size models walking. (Mic)

Arrow Created with Sketch. Article continues below

3. Even Mark Zuckerberg's $3 million isn't enough to end global disease.

The Facebook mogul and his wife Priscilla recently pledged to spend $3 billion over the next 10 years to cure and prevent all disease within their children's lifetime. However, there are doubts about how far this incredibly generous donation will go in the grand scheme of things, with corporations like National Institutes of Health already spending 10 times that every year. (NBC)

4. The world is finally taking a stand against HFCS.

Hydrofluorocarbons don't just sound scary. The powerful greenhouse gas commonly found in refrigerators and air-conditioning systems could raise global temperatures by 0.5 degrees Celsius by the end of the century if left unchecked. That's why world leaders from more than 100 countries just pledged to aggressively start fading them out. (The Guardian)

5. Today in scary news: Drug-resistant STDs are on the rise.

The CDC just confirmed that seven people have come down with a drug-resistant strain of gonorrhea in Hawaii. (Daily Mail)

Arrow Created with Sketch. Article continues below

6. Google Glass is using facial recognition technology to help autistic children understand facial expression and emotion.

The Autism Glass Project aims to help kids in families who don't have access to the right therapies or technologies. While it's still currently in beta, the feedback from every "trial" has been positive. (CNBC)

7. Iceland is officially the healthiest country in the world.

The United States is 28th on the list, in large part due to childhood obesity and deaths related to alcohol consumption. (The Lancet)

8. Tens of thousands of women in England are being denied an effective breast cancer drug.

And politics are to blame. Bisphosphonates have proven to be helpful with early stage breast cancer treatment, but the "lack of national guidance" on who should fund the drugs is stalling distribution. (BBC)

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!