How to Keep Your New Year's Resolutions (What the Experts Say)
Resolutions -- can't live with 'em, can't start the New Year without 'em. We at MindBodyGreen think that resolutions often fail, so we came up with an alternative to the resolution with our day-by-day 31 Days of Wellness guide for the month of January.
Time magazine confirms our theory as they reference a Marist poll that found "that while 65% of people who made a resolution in 2008 kept their promise for at least part of the following year, 35% never even made it out of the gate."
Time talked to five experts ranging from a recovering heroin addict to a behavioral scientist, and here's what they came up with to ensure your resolutions stick.
- Don't Kid Yourself Hold yourself accountable for your goals.
- Quit Cold Turkey -- Temporarily Abstain for a finite time period, before beginning moderate behavior.
- Do What the Dalai Lama Would DoPractice mindfulness so that you can build your will power muscles.
- Don't Try to Scare Yourself StraightReward yourself for good behavior and celebrate success towards a goal.
- Get Better FriendsSupport from your social group is crucial to changing behaviors or lifestyles.