These sinlessly delicious vegetarian and vegan recipes wont leave you feeling left out for this year's fourth of July.
Recipe 1. Potato and Gourd (Green Squash) Patties (pictured, above)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
1 medium bottle gourd, peeled and finely grated
4 medium potatoes (about 5oz each) peeled, boiled, and mashed
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
Salt to taste
2 sprig cilantro, finely chopped
2 teaspoon lemon juice
Optional: ½ teaspoon red chili powder
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Combine the gourd and the mashed potatoes in a large mixing bowl. With your hands, knead the ingredients together until well combined.
3. Stir in the turmeric, cumin, and salt. (optional: add red chili powder)
4. Add the cilantro and lemon juice.
5. Shape the mixture into 8 patties. Place the patties on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Alternatively you can grill the patties until brown.
6. Serve warm.
Combine with: Cilantro Mint chutney
Recipe 2: Stuffed Peppers (pictured, below)