Vegan Peanut Butter + Cranberry Protein Bars To Power Through Your Afternoon
Flip the bird to the high cost of protein bars by making them yourself. Then you can customize them to include all your favorite ingredients. And freshly made is always tastier!
Peanut Butter + Cranberry Protein Bars
Makes 8 (2-by-4-inch) bars
- ¾ cup toasted walnut pieces (or other type of nut)
- 1¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking or instant)
- 1 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit (or a combination)
- ½ cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan.
2. Place the walnuts in a dry skillet and toast over medium heat until light brown and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes, shaking often. Transfer to a food processor.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until crumbly. Continue to process until the mixture is well-combined. Add a little water, a tablespoon at a time, if the mixture is too crumbly to stick together.
4. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool, then refrigerate until completely cold.
5. Cut into 2-by-4-inch bars. Wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap for easy transport.
Reprinted from The Book of Veganish by arrangement with Pam Krauss Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, a Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2016, Kathy Freston & Rachel Cohn.