Greek yogurt is a beauty superfood that's breaking off from its fresh-fruit-and-granola incarnation. Make it into "bark", and you've got a fun and refreshing snack that looks unique, and best of all, can be eaten at any time of the day.
There's something to be said about food in crunchy, broken-shapes-and-sizes-form that makes it much more lavish, don't you think? As for the Greek yogurt? "It works best for making infinitely snackable yogurt bark, because it's thicker and contains less water than plain full-fat yogurt, but both contain cultures of beneficial bacteria that support a healthy gut and digestion," says nutritional therapist Eve Kallinik.
"Greek yoghurt is a high-protein treat for your complexion, crucial for collagen production, and responsible for holding your connective tissue together since it contains vitamins A and E," says Eve who suggests opting for the plain flavor since it has no added sugar. "Whatever we eat has an impact on how we feel and look, so why not try and chow down on foods that are as nutritionally-dense as they are delicious."
All you need to do is add in these extra powerhouse nutritional ingredients to the yoghurt and see just how you glow..
- Antioxidant-rich chia seeds, fresh berries and dried cranberries fight free radicals in your skin and have mega-doses of vitamin C, one of the most effective nutrients to help grow and strengthen hair because of its role in absorbing iron.
- Coconut is sky-high in essential fatty acids to help keep your skin soft and brilliant to help grow your hair.
- Honey is made from the alchemy of bees collecting nectar, pollen, and resins from flowers, which are loaded with nutrients and healing compounds for the skin.
- The flavonoids (antioxidants) in dark chocolate help your skin protect itself from UV damage (hello, fewer wrinkles) and increase blood flow (dewy glow!).
This version I've been playing around with at home (yes, aspiring chef is my new fall goal) follows the same principle as standard chocolate bark, but it's made with yogurt instead of melted chocolate. Snack time just got exciting!
Blueberry & Vanilla Greek Yoghurt Bark
- 2 cups greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (pre-soaked)
- 1 tbsp cranberries
- A cup of blueberries
- A cup of strawberries
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- Mix the yogurt and honey together until well combined. Add the cranberries and chia seeds and stir again.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and pour the yogurt mixture on top. Spread it depending on how thick or thin you want your bark to be.
- Sprinkle the blueberries, strawberries, chocolate chips and desiccated coconut on top and place in the freezer for 2-4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and use a sharp knife to break the bark into pieces. The bark can be stored in the freezer in food bags.