Think of plantains as the sister to the banana. They're not as sweet, as they contain less sugar. They're also higher in starch than most fruits, making them perfect for gluten and grain-free breads.
My favorite part of this entire dish is upon serving — the moment you break the egg white just enough for the golden yolk to spill over, the starchy flat bread soaks up every last bit, leaving you with a nice balance of moisture.
The egg yolk is rich and bold; with the added bonus of sprinkled salt and drizzled honey there's nothing like it.
Plantain Flatbread With Poached Egg + Honey Drizzle
Serves 1 or 2
- 1 medium green/slightly yellow plantain, peeled and cut up
- 3 or 4 eggs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: thinly sliced chives
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with coconut oil.
2. In a high-speed blender, combine the plantain, 2 of the eggs, and a pinch of salt, and blend until smooth.
3. Pour this mixture into the baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (or lift up the sides to check for doneness).
4. Poach 1 or 2 eggs (depending on how many you are serving). Serve the plantain flatbread topped with the poached egg(s).
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and a drizzle of honey. Garnish as desired.