The fishing tribes are given credit for the naming of tonight's Sturgeon Moon, since sturgeon, a large fish of the Great Lakes and other major bodies of water, were most readily caught during the month of August. A few tribes knew it as the Full Red Moon because, as the moon rises, it appears reddish through any sultry haze. It was also called the Green Corn Moon or Grain Moon, and the overarching theme of this evening and her celestial shimmering is bounty, a time to concentrate on the vitality of the earth itself.
Tonight's full moon in Aquarius is one of the most popular astrological events of the year because of its slow-moving and easy-to-glimpse glistening, which promises a steady light show visible from city rooftops, no telescope required. Or you could get adventurous and take a moonlight walk to listen to whatever landscape you're in come alive with the potent rustlings of nocturnal happenings.
In honor of the full moon, it's a good time to embrace cool, candescent, shimmering tones and enhance a summer bronze with pale, moonlit hues. It's the perfect chance to get in touch with your inner goddess and make yourself gleam while you pay homage to Mother Earth. Plus, who doesn't fancy an otherworldly night of primping, looking out at a dream of a sky, a true collective assertion of loveliness and tranquillity in a troubled world.
As the moon rises to her fullness, it’s likely we’ll feel the pull and tug of our hearts calling us to align with our deepest truth and encouraging us to bring forth the balance needed to embody it. In the meantime make like an ethereal goddess and twinkle the night away with my six-step guide to an otherworldly complexion.
Moonstruck: How-To Give Good Glow
- Set the tone for this evening's magic by brewing yourself some Par Avion Tea x UO Glitter Tea Twilight Blend, a glittery blend that will actually sparkle in your mug. ($16)
- To create some frosted magic, first prep skin with MUN No.1 Aknari Brightening Youth Serum, a long-lasting moon-inspired moisturizer with a light reflective formula that will make your skin appear fresh and dewy. ($95)
- Then mix a little dollop each of Guerlain Meteorites Baby Glow and some raw coconut oil on the high planes of your face, décolletage, and arms. ($54)
- For that extra beam, tap RMS Living Luminizer on your cheekbones, inner corners of the eye, and brow bone. The overall effect creates a sheer texture that's not at all makeup-y and imparts a glow on skin that is downright beautiful. ($38)
- Gild lids with Belmacz Meteor, a 24-ct Gold Leaf & Graphite Cream Eyeshadow that will invoke a lit-from-within gaze that's pretty powerful. ($26.69)
- Finish with a slick of Ritual de Fille Forbidden Lipstick in Night Wanderer, a blackish-purple hue with the subtlest of glints inspired by the moment of transformation in the sky before the moon starts to wane. ($23)
P.S Maybe you'll even catch a glimpse of some shooting stars. #overthemoon