What does an ageless beautiful woman (or man!) look like? It starts with glowing skin, a radiant smile, a skip in their step, and a body and mind that says, YES, I CAN! It's also very much about a feeling — one of happiness, joy, confidence, and passion.
So what does this all have to do with food and nutrition?
Food is the gateway to health. Change your food and you change your life. Health begins on the cellular level. Every bite of food you eat is either adding to your health or depleting it. If your cells are happy and getting the proper nourishment they need each day, your beauty is going to shine through and radiate to the outside world. Eating healthy for an ageless beauty lifestyle is not about deprivation. It's about delicious, healthy, vibrant, colorful power foods that nourish your body and cleanse your blood.
"Your body is unique, and your diet should be too." No one size fits all. To help guide you further onto the path of wellness, I created a simple plan, called the ACE plan. Who doesn't love to get an A on a test, a game, or a work project? We all love to ACE it, so today let's ACE our eating as well. Where do we start? Instead of taking out everything first and feeling "deprived," we begin with ADDING IN.
1. Add in omega-3-rich foods and lots of healthy fiber for gorgeous glowing skin and a beautiful body. Think wild salmon, walnuts, sprouted almonds, and ground flax seeds. Omega-3's support cellular health, and the fiber helps keep you fuller longer, so less of a chance of overeating. "Eat the rainbow" each day with an array of colorful power foods that help detoxify your blood and nourish your body. Try matcha green tea and be sure to include the cruciferous family (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts) three to four times a week, as these contain sulfur, which helps support the liver and better breast health.
Next we begin to crowd out ...
2. Crowd out the chemicals, fake foods, and refined sugars for greater energy, increased endurance, and reduced inflammation. Over time these may lead to damaging your cells and your health. It's about elimination without deprivation because we all crave pleasure. Let's make it fun — instead of consuming sweet chemical-laden drinks, opt for cleaner versions. Try vodka with a splash of sparkling water and lots of fresh squeezed lemon or lime for a vitamin C beauty pump, or create your own delicious antioxidant spritzer with a splash of pomegranate juice, chia seeds, and fresh mint.
Then we elevate UP!
3. Elevate up your choices for a healthier, happier body and mind. When baking, swap out refined white sugar for coconut sugar loaded with beauty-boosting B-vitamins. If you love your morning Joe like I do, switch out your regular coffee for an organic blend and add in some cinnamon for a sweet, blood-sugar-balancing boost. If cookies are your thing (and who doesn't love an awesome chocolate chip cookie) try making your own with better ingredients like almond flour, coconut oil, and dark chocolate chips, or check out an organic bakery or your local farmers market for some wholesome delectable healthier treats.
As a whole, eating for ageless beauty is about slowing down the effects of time. As Robert Urich shared, "A healthy outside starts from the inside." It's the simple things we do each day that create the big results we crave.
Marlyn's Matcha Beauty Smoothie
This smoothie is loaded with simple ingredients that help boost your beauty, increase your energy and heighten your focus. It's super easy to make and incredibly delicious.
- 8 ounces unsweetened almond milk (or other nondairy blend)
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- ½ frozen banana or berries of choice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons MCT oil or other healthy fat (hemp, flax, or coconut oil)
- Dash of cinnamon to taste
- *Option: 1 scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder
Blend all ingredients in high-speed blender. Sip, savor, and enjoy!
- 11 Things Cameron Diaz Taught Me About Aging, Beauty & Total Wellness
- Q & A With Christian Henderson: Pure Nutrition
- How To Design Your Own Skin-Beautifying Smoothie