Take volcanic rock and ash, add some alkaline ground water, and allow to blend over millions of years. The result? Zeolite, the natural mineral compound that has the perfect molecular structure for capturing and removing heavy metals from the body, according to scientists, along with maintaining our delicate alkaline pH, crucial for good immunity.
If the idea of using volcanic ash as a cure-all beauty remedy sounds vaguely familiar, that's because it's been touted as a method of drawing dirt out of the body and purifying the complexion for decades. Zeolite's reputation as a miracle mineral was sealed after it was used by NASA's space program to purify the air in spaceships. The compound is a “molecular sieve” made up of tiny alumino-silicate honeycomb chambers. Each chamber is negatively charged and contains positively charged mineral ions like potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium and iron (minerals you need). It sucks in positively charged negative contaminants, and spits out their positively charged metal ions. The result? Good stuff in, bad stuff out: environmental toxins, pesticides and viruses to name but a few.
Use it as a beautifying addition to your skin care regimen, or in your home as a cheap and effective air-purifying agent — its knack for absorbing impurities, odors, and preventing bacterial growth in the personal-hygiene arena is renowned.
Face Mask How-To
It's the perfect excuse to experiment with a much-needed seasonal skin-care essential — the refining face mask. I give myself an at-home facial once a week, by using a zeolite and probiotic mask in succession to mimic the once-every-six-weeks in-office facial.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of the powder with water to make a potent pore-clarifying paste and apply evenly over face, neck, and chest.
- After 10 minutes, rinse with water and a mild cleanser.
- I use it once a week but start off with trying it once every two weeks — if skin feels dry after application, apply a moisturizer, and if irritation occurs, stop using it.
It's anti-inflammatory, minimizes fine lines, but ultimately, it leaves your complexion bright and rejuvenated. Winner.
- Zeolite: What It Is + Why It Can Detox & Cleanse Your Skin Like Nothing Else
- How To Use Clay For A Full-Body Detox
- Treat Yourself: A Detox Bath To Give You Glowing Skin