15 Things You Need To Know Today (June 6)

Photo: Noel Vasquez / Getty

1. Chrissy Teigen snapped her breastfeeding moment behind the scenes at the NBA finals.

While she wasn't breastfeeding courtside, Teigen was snapped proudly feeding baby Luna backstage at the game—the latest example of Teigen defending herself and mothers everywhere from rampant mom-shaming on social media. (E! Online)

2. Zika might also be transmitted through oral sex.

We already know the virus can be transmitted through vaginal sex. But now, French scientists are urging stronger prevention guidelines after they discovered a case of Zika virus being transmitted by oral sex—and they suspect it might even be possible through kissing. (NYT)

Arrow Created with Sketch. Article continues below

3. Fish are now addicted to plastic like teenagers are to fast food.

Swedish researchers have found that young fish become hooked on eating plastic in the seas in the same way that teenagers prefer unhealthy fast food. The plastics essentially fool fish into believing garbage is "a high-energy resource that they need to eat a lot of," explains the study's lead author. They also found that fish that consume large quantities of microplastics are "smaller, slower, and more stupid" (and die at twice the rate of the others when exposed to predators) than ones living in clean water and, therefore, on healthier diets. (BBC)

4. Tinder is opening up to trans and gender-nonconforming users.

Right now, you can identify yourself and the people you're interested in only by the terms, "male" and "female." The update, expected to happen in the next couple of months, will provide options for trans and gender-nonconforming people hoping to find someone on Tinder. (Gay Times)

5. Muhammad Ali dies at age 74.

The boxing legend, civil rights activist, and cultural icon died at age 74 in Phoenix, Arizona. He was a thoughtful and passionate person, who was conscious of every move he made both inside and outside the ring. He was also an inspirational quote machine—so check out our 15 favorite quotes from the Greatest of All Time. (mindbodygreen)

6. Want some locally grown food in a city? Go to Chicago.

The Windy City is home to new agriculture startups that are making it possible to grow fresh food indoors, with the help of LED lights. (Fast CoExist)

7. This is what social media does to the teen brain.

A new study published in the journal Psychological Science found that when teens received a large number of "likes" on their photos, the same part of their brains that's turned on by things like winning money or enjoying chocolate was activated. (HealthDay)

8. Electric cars are quickly becoming king of the highway.

OK, not quite...but there are now officially more than a million of them on roads around the world! (EcoWatch)

9. Japan is actually taking steps to regulate tuna fishing.

Bluefin tuna is notoriously overfished, with the population decreasing by nearly 97 percent in the last 50 years. Japan, which is responsible for about 80 percent of bluefin fishing, will institute bans in overfished areas as well as seasonal regulations. Hopefully these actions will be enough to save the dwindling population. (Eater)

10. Kesha will not have your body-shaming...ever.

A body-shaming troll took it upon himself to let Kesha know she is ugly and a "whore," and in return, Kesha gifted the world with a bum photo and the following message: "[B]ullying someone who has struggled publicly with body issues is pretty mean. thank god I'm in a place in my life where I feel empowered to address your nasty comments instead of letting them destroy me. so. on behalf of anyone anywhere who struggles with body image, STOP IT. my body is not your business. in conclusion, kiss my magical imperfect ass." (Instagram)

11. Judge rules that the Women's National Soccer Team does not have the right to strike.

Despite their pleas, a federal judge ruled the world champion U.S. women's soccer team does not have the right to strike to seek improved conditions and wages before the Summer Olympics, which means that the USWNT, who have had legitimate complaints of pay disparity, discrimination, and poor field conditions, will be headed to Rio instead of protesting these issues. Will the U.S. Soccer Federation resolve the pay disparity issue before the USWNT travels to Rio? We hope so, but we'll have to see. (ESPN)

12. Vegan woman makes it her mission to free a supermarket lobster.

Lifelong vegan Christine Loughead orchestrated a plan with fellow vegans via Facebook to return a lobster to what they believed to be its original home in Nova Scotia. So, how much is the life of a lobster worth? It cost her only $300. (Washington Post)

13. Starbucks is calling on investors to fund its ethical, sustainable initiatives.

Last month, the coffee giant issued a $500 million green bond in the hopes of drawing in sustainability-minded investors. Now, the chain is well on its way to using the money it's bringing in to fund loans for coffee farmers and agricultural education centers. (Fast CoExist)

14. Could this be the answer to preventing autoimmune diseases?

Researchers suspect that changes in the human microbiome may have contributed to the current increase in autoimmune disorders. Now, a number of new studies support the hygiene hypothesis, or the idea that the immune system needs to be educated early in life by being exposed to a diverse community of microbes. In other words, preventing autoimmune disorders might mean embracing a "dirtier" world. (NYT)

15. The powerful letter the Stanford victim read aloud to her attacker is a must-read.

After Brock Turner was sentenced to only six months in jail for a horrifying assault, his unidentified accuser is speaking out. In the letter, she describes the aftermath and the depression that came from having to relive the experience. "And finally, to girls everywhere, I am with you. On nights when you feel alone, I am with you. When people doubt you or dismiss you, I am with you. I fought every day for you. So never stop fighting, I believe you," she said. (BuzzFeed)

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!