Up Your Greens Game With This Thai-Spiced Curry
A simple farmers-market-inspired meal is ideal for the warmer months. This rainbow chard and lentil dish leans on pantry staples like dried apricots and green curry paste for lots of flavor and texture—making it low-maintenance AND well-rounded.
Sweet, spicy, and earthy, this dish works alongside beef or lamb or as a satisfying vegetarian meal on its own. Thai green curry paste is an easy find in the Asian section of the grocery store and is one of those pantry items I keep stocked for quick and simple dishes like this one.
Rainbow Chard With Lentils, Apricots + Green Curry
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard, preferably rainbow chard
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 2 cups cooked lentils, preferably red
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons diced dried apricots
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Pull or cut the large middle stems from the chard leaves. Cut the stems crosswise into ¼-inch-thick pieces and blanch them in the boiling water until tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Pull the stems out of the water with a slotted spoon and drain them in a colander. Bring the water back to a boil and blanch the leaves until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain the leaves and chop coarsely.
4. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring so the paste doesn’t burn. Add the chard stems and leaves and stir to coat with the curry paste.
5. Stir in the lentils and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, allowing any excess liquid in the pot to evaporate. Reduce the heat to low and fold in the yogurt and apricots. Season with the salt and three turns of black pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe excerpted from Brooklyn Rustic: Simple Food for Sophisticated Palates.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.