A Watermelon Avocado Salad Perfect For Summer
Most of us eat watermelon by itself as a juicy fruit snack, but it also works well in savory salads. This recipe makes a great summer side dish or starter. You can replace the mozzarella with feta or even blue cheese if you prefer.
Watermelon + Avocado Salad
Serves 6 to 8 as a starter
- 1 small or ½ large watermelon, cut into chunks
- 2 just-ripe avocados, cut into chunks
- 6½ oz. mozzarella or bocconcini, torn into small chunks
- 10 to 12 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- juice and finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon very finely chopped red chili (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper
- a small handful of basil leaves, torn roughly
To garnish (optional)
- lime halves
1. Place watermelon, avocado, mozzarella or bocconcini, and tomatoes, if using, in a bowl and toss gently. Pile onto a serving platter, sprinkle with lime juice and zest, chili, if using, and salt and pepper. Top with basil leaves and garnish with lime halves.
2. Watermelon + Avocado Salad can be prepared in advance, covered, and refrigerated for up to 4 hours until needed.
This recipe is from Annabel’s TV series Annabel Langbein The Free Range Cook: Simple Pleasures, screening now on PBS. The accompanying book, containing all the recipes from the series, is available now.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.