20 Ways to Be Extra Kind to Yourself
I did something crazy the other day. It was three o'clock in the afternoon. I had a week's worth of blog posts to write, coaching business to tend to and an inbox full of unopened emails. I should have been working, I should have been taking the dog for a walk, I should have been doing yoga. However I didn’t do any of these things. I pulled back the covers of my bed, crawled in, curled up hugging a pillow and went to sleep for two hours. It was amazing. And you want to know the best bit? I refused to feel guilty for doing so.
How many of you can say you would put all of your demands aside for a couple of hours to a have a nap in the middle of the day? How many of you would book yourself in for a massage, a facial or just spend some time doing absolutely nothing for no other reason than because you deserve it? When it comes to priorities, it’s funny how we will put everything and everyone ahead of ourselves – until something drastic happens to wake us up to the fact that we need to put ourselves first. This was the case for me. It took two cancer diagnoses for me to realise that unashamed self-care is crucial to our wellbeing.
So, if you’re one of those people who will take your iPad to the loo with you so you can do two types of business at once, please read on and take some of my advice. There is nothing shameful about being super kind to yourself. Not only do you deserve it; but also your health depends on it. Here are some ideas for loving yourself sick …
1. Seek solitude. Meditate, go within, connect to your centre, go for a walk – just be comfortable chilling by yourself.
2. Kick back with a cup of tea and read a magazine.
3. Re-connect with nature. Try a walking on the beach, cloud watching, stargazing or enjoying a beautiful sunset.
4. Have a techno-detox. Put your mobile in a drawer, step away from the computer and resist the urge to tell everyone about it on Twitter.
5. Do yoga. Yoga is like an all-encompassing gift for your body and mind.
6. Read an inspiring book.
7. Laugh. Watch The Ellen Show, Modern Family or a Will Ferrell movie.
8. Re-write you self-sabotaging stories into positive affirmations. Repeat them constantly.
9. Soak in the tub. Add apple cider vinegar, 3% hydrogen peroxide, Epsom salts or essential oils to your bath water. Then, kick back and let the detoxifying process begin. Light some candles and listen to soothing music for added romance.
10. Get a massage. And don’t feel an ounce of guilt for it.
11. Be grateful. Start a gratitude journal and count your blessings on paper.
12. Practice deep relaxation techniques, like deep yogic breathing.
13. Listen to music you love. Dance around in your underwear if you can. Hairbrush microphone optional.
14. Feed your body with healthy, fresh, organic and delicious plant-based whole foods.
15. Throw your lymph system a party and make friends with a dry body brush.
16. Give yourself a natural facemask.
17. Spend some time in silent contemplation. Use the time to focus on your goals and dreams.
18. Watch your favorite trashy TV show. I love Keeping Up With the Kardashians and my new fave, The Rachel Zoe Project.
19. Spend time with your pets. They are the best therapy you’ll find.
20. Surround yourself with positive, inspiring people.