Deliciously Ella's 6-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
Ella Woodward is the woman behind the popular blog and best-selling cookbook Deliciously Ella. When Ella was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease, she decided to change to a plant-based diet and saw incredible results. Ever since, she's been sharing beautiful recipes that make eating plants simple, easy, and fun. We're so excited to share a recipe from her new cookbook, Deliciously Ella Every Day.
This is my favorite chocolate cake; it’s just so soft and gooey. It may also be the simplest cake ever: just six ingredients blended together and then baked for 30 minutes, so it’s great if you need a fancy dessert but have limited time or energy! It’s perfect for a party, too, as I’ve yet to find anyone who doesn’t love it.
Chocolate Ganache Cake
Makes 1 cake
Ingredients for the cake
- coconut oil, for the pan
- 3 avocados
- 7 tablespoons almond butter
- ½ cup raw cacao powder, plus more to dust (optional)
- 1½ cups plus 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1½ cups almond meal
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
Ingredients for the frosting
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (convection 325°F). Oil an 8-inch cake pan with coconut oil; I don’t line it with parchment paper as I use a silicone pan. If yours isn’t, you might want to line it.
2. Scoop the avocado flesh out of the skins and into a food processor. Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and level the top.
3. Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Leave to cool and bind together for at least 20 minutes before turning out of the pan.
4. Sift over a little more cacao powder, if you like, to serve, as we did for the photo, or make the frosting. For the frosting, warm the coconut oil in a small saucepan just until it melts. Stir in all the other ingredients until you have a smooth, glossy glaze. Use it to frost the top of the cooled cake, then leave to set.
Make It Better: This cake is perfect just as it is, frosted or not, but you could add a scoop of coconut ice cream to each slice if you want.
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.