I loved Golden Rough (the Australian chocolate and coconut treat) as a teen. I loved everything about them: the crunchy texture; the smooth, sweet, and delicious, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate; and, well, probably the pure fact that it was a dirt-cheap sweet treat that I could afford.
With this fond memory, I've re-created my childhood fave to be one that's sugar-free; packs a crunch and a healthy punch; and even delivers quality antioxidants, protein, and a good-for-your-gut food in the form of green banana.
Green banana is like fertilizer for your gut flora, and a form of resistant starch. Resistant starch is digested many hours later and only by the good bacteria. It has many health benefits, like weight management, diabetes control, and lowering cholesterol.
It's an easy addition to a smoothie or even raw treats because it's relatively tasteless and the texture is similar to a fine flour. You can find it in health food stores and online.
Give this one a try either as a sweet, healthy treat when entertaining or when you need a satisfying quick fix ... of the nutritious kind.
Makes around 8 to 10.
- 3 tablespoons cacao
- ¼ teaspoons ground ginger
- 5 tablespoons quinoa flakes
- 3 tablespoons organic green banana flour (you can use coconut flour instead)
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoons Himalayan salt
- 300g creamed coconut (roughly 8 heaped tablespoons)
1. Place all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add creamed coconut. Blend well with a spoon.
2. Pour into a baking tray lined with baking paper. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
3. Defrost 5 to 10 minutes before eating. Break roughly into pieces and enjoy. Stores in airtight container in the freezer for several weeks.
For more info on how to improve gut health, check out:
- 7 Ways To Nurture Good Gut Health
- Clean Eating Tips To Optimize Gut Health
- 5 Ways to Improve Your Gut & Understanding Microbiome