We’ve all heard about the importance of antioxidants. But what can they actually do for you?

These much-talked-about substances can help protect your cells against the effects of free radicals and the damage they cause.

There are many foods that are rich in antioxidants, but I have four favorites that are delicious AND may help your skin look younger and more beautiful!

1. Dark Chocolate

Rich in antioxidants, chocolate may reduce moisture loss in skin, improving skin hydration, leading to smoother skin and improved skin texture.

Select chocolate that is at least 70 percent cacao, and remember to keep your intake to a small amount. Just 1 ounce a day is enough to reap the benefits without sabotaging your weight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for a healthy dark chocolate recipe? Try my wheat-, gluten-, and dairy-free Triple Chocolate Brownies.

2. Walnuts

High in omega-3 essential fatty acids, walnuts may stimulate collagen, improving skin elasticity.

Enjoy a small handful every day for healthy cells. Get your dose of walnuts by adding to healthy cookie, muffin, or bread recipes, or sprinkle over your afternoon salad.

3. Cherries

With 17 different antioxidant compounds, cherries could help slow down the skin’s aging process.

Try adding a small amount of dried cherries to your salads or keep frozen cherries for a quick and healthy smoothie.

4. Pumpkin Seeds

These little seeds pack a healthy punch and can help maintain collagen levels, increase elasticity, and stimulate new skin-cell growth.

Sprinkle over salad, cereal, or yogurt for a healthy and satisfying crunch.

Looking to add more antioxidant-rich foods to your diet? My new mbg video course, A 14-Day Clean-Eating Program: How to Kick-Start Weight Loss in Two Weeks, is full of antioxidant-rich recipes to help you look and feel great.